Street legal YZ...

11 replies to this topic
  • jbehunin

Posted August 02, 2008 - 11:32 AM

I streel legalized my 2007 YZ450F, and it is a blast to ride on the street, but I have some concerns....

will the long freeway trip to and from work wear out my motor ar tranny?

how do you get rid of that rear wheel shaking.....?

• tnl

Posted August 02, 2008 - 12:14 PM

Eventually it will. It's a dirtbike not a street bike. Wheel wobble because of suspension set up and no street tire.

• swatdoc

Posted August 03, 2008 - 03:55 PM

my YZ rear wheel doesn't shake at all on the freeway - what kind or tire/wheel combo are you running?
2 choices to help with a long freeway ride - gear it tall or slip in the transmission form a 07 and up WR - it will bolt right in

• corndog67

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:21 PM

I live in the lovely state of Califorkya, how did you manage to get those YZ's street legal? I've actually thought of try to bootleg something through, just using a plate off of something else, and making the YZ appear street legal, see, the cops around here are so busy with gangs and dope and whatnot that I don't think they would mess with little ole me on my dirtbike. What's the scoop on street legalizing these bad boys?

• swatdoc

Posted August 03, 2008 - 10:04 PM

you can't do it in california. very restrictive laws there. you gotta start out with a street legal bike there. either that or get your bike plated in another state and just bring it in to calif already plated

• jbehunin

Posted August 06, 2008 - 09:21 AM

I am in Utah, and the laws here allowed me to street legalize my bike. I am currently running a 14/40 sprocket combo.
as far as the tire combo, I found out why its shaking, I am using my off road tires!!!!LOL
I am currently looking for a set of rims or a set of supermoto rims so I can mount up a set of DOT approved tires on them so I can just swap them out.

I am not rapping it out on the freeway, the thing cruises at 80 miles per hour with the throttle just cracked open.......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted August 06, 2008 - 09:52 AM

you should be fine - if there's any of the major 450's that lends itself to street use it's the Yamaha due to the reliability of the 5 valve heads

• corndog67

Posted August 08, 2008 - 07:58 AM

I am in Utah, and the laws here allowed me to street legalize my bike. I am currently running a 14/40 sprocket combo.
as far as the tire combo, I found out why its shaking, I am using my off road tires!!!!LOL
I am currently looking for a set of rims or a set of supermoto rims so I can mount up a set of DOT approved tires on them so I can just swap them out.

I am not rapping it out on the freeway, the thing cruises at 80 miles per hour with the throttle just cracked open.......

I do machine work, and a couple of years ago, I put a set of 16" wheels off of a 600 Ninja, must have been an older one, 80's - 90's on a KX500 for a guy. We had to machine the sprocket carrier itself, the wheel where the sprocket carrier rode with the cush drive inserts, there seemed to be plenty of meat in there to narrow things up, took careful measurements as far as centering things up in the swingarm and also machined both side of the wheel on the front to get it between the forks, and made some lugs that a friend of his welded to the lower legs for the calipers to mount. I was skeptical when we started, but it turned out really well, except now, I would use maybe some SV650 wheels, or newer GS500 wheels, since they are 17", but still not real wide like the big bores that run 180 tires. The 16" wheels used a 120 on the front and a 150 or 160 on the rear.

Oh yeah, a KX500 on the street is a handful.

• tnl

Posted August 08, 2008 - 01:17 PM

What size chain are you using with a 14/40 combo? I wonder if there is a chart somewhere out there for yamaha's to match :) chain/sprocket combo's for those of us who like to do the ds thing?

• jbehunin

Posted August 08, 2008 - 03:25 PM

i am running a 520 x-ring chain.....

• grayracer513

Posted August 08, 2008 - 05:06 PM

i am running a 520 x-ring chain.....

He means the chain length.

tnl,

Just buy the 114 and cut it down yourself. A good chain breaker will cost you about $30, and last a lifetime (beware the Motion Pro push pin type).

• jbehunin

Posted August 12, 2008 - 09:06 AM

not too sure, I want to say 112.
I started with the stock length, and cut a couple of links out it to make it fit....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.