Gas cap vent hose spewing fuel

1 reply to this topic
  • MAD_POTTER

Posted June 05, 2002 - 08:22 PM

On my last ride every time I would stop I kept smelling gas. I finally realized that it was coming out of my vent hose. When I unscrewed the cap I could hear the pressure release. I did fill the tank almost to the top before riding, probably a little too full. The one way valve is installed correctly. I did relocate the hose to the steering stem after mounting a Panoram computer. Did I create some kind of siphon action by having the end of the vent hose lower than the fuel level in the tank? It stopped after the fuel level dropped. I thought the one way valve was there to prevent fuel from escaping. While this was happening the engine would stumble from 0 to 1/8 throttle. Was the pressure forcing extra gas into the float bowl creating a rich situation? Does anybody has an answer or even a guess as to what happened?
Thanks,
KC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • z4me

Posted June 06, 2002 - 01:55 AM

Yep - you got it. Remove the one-way valve and your problem is solved. I have heard this more often on bikes with aftermarket tanks - for some reason.

The one-way valve is mainly there for when the bike goes on it's side anyway - it is really not needed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.