thoughts on wet sump kit for 426

3 replies to this topic
  • e30M3

Posted August 02, 2008 - 06:59 AM

I was looking at http://www.dubachrac...&products_id=29

and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with it. The bike is an 02 YZ426 and I consider myself a strong novice and possibly intermediate rider. I mainly ride motorcross and would like to start racing but haven't yet...

I know I would need to change the oil more often but I am thinking that since there will be no oil in the frame oil changes will be faster and easier and that since the bike will take less oil, the more frequent oil changes won't cost any extra $$.

I like the idea as the bike will look ever-so slightly cleaner and that oil changes will be easier but I don't want to negetively affect the long term health of the bike.

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2008 - 07:15 AM

I don't like them. The engine simply has too little oil in it to be depended on, for one thing. Besides shortening the oil life, it seems questionable to me, since the crankcases were not laid out as a wet sump, whether the engine will oil reliably during extreme maneuvers, like hard acceleration up a steep climb, or wheelies, or while lying on its side after a crash. The stock system will.

For all that, I don't see that there is a great deal of benefit to be had from it. It's more of a hair splitting, race bike only kind of thing, IMO. If you want a lower CG, run a half quart less oil, as the '03 450 did, and don't fill your gas tank more than necessary for each moto. An even bigger improvement would be to replace it with an '06 YZ450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • e30M3

Posted August 02, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Okay, I will go look at the newer 450s, they don't cost that much more than the wet sump kit anyway.:ride:

Seriously though, thanks for that insight. I would trade the bike for newer model but I need a greensticker bike for the areas I ride with the family and I can't afford two bikes (if I could I would have a new 450 and a WR250 for the family rides...)

• grayracer513

Posted August 02, 2008 - 08:45 AM

...I need a greensticker bike for the areas I ride with the family and I can't afford two bikes ...

Makes sense. But the dual usage of the bike is all the more reason not to use a wet sump kit.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.