Airflow in 07/08 airbox

6 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted July 31, 2008 - 03:58 PM

I've noticed that with the 07/08 WR450s, the air filter only seems to get really dirty in one concentrated area, while some other parts of the filter are almost totally clean.

Is this an issue and/or are there any fixes short of putting holes in the sides of the airbox?

I've taken the rubber snorkel out of the airbox, but left the entry points for the snorkel on the box.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 31, 2008 - 04:30 PM

I've noticed that with the 07/08 WR450s, the air filter only seems to get really dirty in one concentrated area, while some other parts of the filter are almost totally clean.

Is this an issue and/or are there any fixes short of putting holes in the sides of the airbox?

I've taken the rubber snorkel out of the airbox, but left the entry points for the snorkel on the box.

The OEM filter is kind of big and barely fits in the air box. I use a twin air filter, it’s smaller. And gets a more homogenous coating of dirt.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 31, 2008 - 09:30 PM

+1 on the twin air.

For max airflow without hacking the airbox, you need to take the inserts for the snorkel out as well (with that steel retaining ring thing).

BTW I was able to get the stock filter completely coated w/ dust on multiple occasions. Just depends on the conditions you ride in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • b13

Posted August 01, 2008 - 09:32 AM

i have a twin air on my 2007 wrf and the side closest to the panel which opens to access the filter seems to always be alot filthier than the rest of the filter???

• William1

Posted August 01, 2008 - 10:46 AM

Dirt has mass. It wants to go in a straight line. It hits the filter and sticks. Air gets sucked in all around the filter. Not to worry.

Ever pull the air filter off of an old US car/truck? The filter will be filthy where the snorkle is aimed and be nearly clean on the opposite side.

• WR450FGreg

Posted August 01, 2008 - 01:27 PM

A tip I read in an Aussie magazine (suggested by Ballards, the internationally respected Enduro gurus) went something like:

Drill a four or five 25mm diameter holes in the bottom of the airbox, then sit some GYTR foam in the bottom of the box covering those holes.

They claimed it significantly reduced the amount of times you need to clean your filter and it spreads the dirt evenly over it.

I haven't done it yet but intend to.

Greg

• C-P

Posted August 01, 2008 - 08:48 PM

My filters seem to get dirtiest on the bottom - opposite of what I would expect. Same fo twin air or stock, and I finally got a second TA filter cause the stock one is a pain to jam in and foam is already shredding off. Can't believe how junky and cheap they seemed to make the oem filter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.