Best Muffler for a 2007 YZ450?

8 replies to this topic
  • MX974

Posted July 31, 2008 - 09:36 AM

I ride MX and miss the blast of my 2004 YZ450. My 2007 is lighter and handles better but feels slower. I have a chance to get a Pro Circuit or an FMF muffler. Does anyone know which would give better midrange and top end blast?

Thanks,

Jay

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2008 - 10:23 AM

I ...miss the blast of my 2004 YZ450. My 2007 is lighter and handles better but feels slower.

This not due to the exhaust, it's mostly in the CDI ignition map. It's also an illusion. Run the two bikes side by side from a roll in second, on the pavement if you can. You'll be surprised.

• bigred455

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:23 PM

I tried the 06 whole oem system with my 07 ,it choked it up everywhere. This proves how does a pipe company produce a pipe and say it works for years EX: 06-08,the cams profile have changed like grey mentioned,need to match the cams. A lot of marketing,I do believe MRD has somethong going on though.I have to say my 07 is sharp from down low all the way through I absolutely love this motor. R&D knows what they are doing with the stock system,I am sure you can find something that moves the power where you like it.I would give MRD a call I never had him build me a pipe,but I have read nothing ,but praise about his pipes.

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Did you use the '06 muffler on the '07 header, or the complete '06 system?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigred455

Posted July 31, 2008 - 01:21 PM

Did you use the '06 muffler on the '07 header, or the complete '06 system?

The ID of the 06 can is too small to slip over the 07 head pipe,with the gasket in the can anyway.However take the gasket out of the 06 can, it will fit over the 07 head pipe. I tested the whole 06 system on the 07.

• motoscotty

Posted August 01, 2008 - 12:27 PM

When I had my 07's I had a chance to test the pc slip on and full sys and fmf slip on and full sys.With my riding stlye and ability I prefered the pc slip over the fmf slip.But the fmf sys was my pick over the pc full sys.The 07's I had I used megabomb hdr. and the 4.1 carbons.So that is my input..

• Justin89

Posted August 01, 2008 - 12:32 PM

Try a 4.1 w/ megabomb header :ride:

• Slinkyman16

Posted August 02, 2008 - 03:50 PM

i havnt used fmf.. but i do currently have a PC Ti-4 full system on my 07.. and if your looking for more mid to top.. this pipe would be excellent.. down low the pipe mimmics the power of the stoker.. just beefs it up tho.. the middle up to top and over-rev are insane.. if you perfer to run your bike in the middle and top range of the power.. then u cant go wrong with this pipe..

This is only based on my experiance and knowlege of the pc full system.. i have never ran the fmf.. so i cannot give you an acurate comparision..

• Family Man

Posted August 03, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I have a white bros aluminum 2 system on my 07 and it works great, way more bottom end and even gained some on the top too. WB is out of buisiness now but you might be able to get one from vance and hines or on closeout.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.