Help a short guy out

9 replies to this topic
  • mrpbdy

Posted July 30, 2008 - 06:04 PM

After too many years off I bought an 08' wr450 and started riding again. Unfortunately bikes have gotten taller and I think I got shorter! I am 5'6". I can tippytoe the bike and once I'm moving its no problem, but I would like to find a shorter seat. I have searched till I'm numb. I can find shorter seats for KTM and older Yamahas, but nothing for 07'-08'. I know suspension mods are an option, but I like the way the bike handles and dont really want to mess with the suspension. Anyone know of aftermarket seats or other options?

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 30, 2008 - 08:08 PM

GUTSracing.com might have a shorter foam but you should also check out Yamalink the owner is a user in this forum, the claim is that his link actually improves the handling of the bike and it looks trick, even has grease zerks on it:thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 30, 2008 - 08:10 PM

Step seat might be an option too.

• WR_Dave

Posted July 31, 2008 - 04:14 AM

A friend of mine, with a similar issue as yours, had his suspension lowered by 1 1/2 inches front and back by a suspension shop and they claim that it keeps the balance of the bike if both ends are done ( no choppers in the woods) while not losing the suspensions capabilities. My friend loves it though and hasn't had any issues with the bike being lowered to fit him better. The thing with most seats that are cut down is that the area between the upper subframe remains the same width and that is wider between the legs with out the seat coming up a bit to meet the rider. I'm told it was very uncomfortable and the seats right now aren't all that comfortable already. WR Dave

• byggd

Posted July 31, 2008 - 06:39 AM

Another small change you can make but it does help is to raise the forks so they stick out above the upper tripple about 10mm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdg211707

Posted August 01, 2008 - 09:14 PM

im 5'5 very short inseam so after more than a year i shaved my seat , havnt rode yet but seems unconfertable,i might have to buy a new foam piece if its too bad.

• Humunn

Posted August 03, 2008 - 05:45 AM

After too many years off I bought an 08' wr450 and started riding again. Unfortunately bikes have gotten taller and I think I got shorter! I am 5'6". I can tippytoe the bike and once I'm moving its no problem, but I would like to find a shorter seat. I have searched till I'm numb. I can find shorter seats for KTM and older Yamahas, but nothing for 07'-08'. I know suspension mods are an option, but I like the way the bike handles and dont really want to mess with the suspension. Anyone know of aftermarket seats or other options?

I have an 07 and in a similar position as you. Searched all over for a short seat but couldn't find one. Step seats aren't any shorter but step up in the back. The only option was to shave the seat which I was talked out of by a couple TTers. I was reluctant to mess with the suspension also as the bike did great for me all the time except in those low speed situations where I had to stab a foot down on the low side. It boiled down to two options for me - either a professional suspension shortening or a lowering link. I opted for the the lowering link because my weight is within the range of the existing suspension and all I wanted to do was lower the bike an inch or so. I installed the link (easy - 10 minutes), adjusted the suspension per the directions, and noticed a big difference on the first ride mostly in the form of feet-on-the-ground confidence. Now I'm tweaking it a bit based on that ride. I've moved the fork tubes up about 3/4" on the front end and stiffened the compression a couple clicks from stock (was that way before lowering), reset my sag to 4", increased the high speed rear compression by 1/3 turn, and increased the rear rebound by 2 clicks. I do notice it rides a bit choppier but not an issue at all. The bike seems to handle a lot better and has improved the fun factor for me - the bike seems more like "my bike" now.

If you're interested check out Yamalink on this site. Dan is great and knows this stuff inside and out.

Greg

• William1

Posted August 03, 2008 - 05:54 AM

I have a 27" inseam. I have to lower the bike by close to three inches. Stock, I cannot get on without a ladder. As others have said, if thinning the seat does not do enough (test by seeing if you can get on it with the seat removed) then shortening the suspenion is the right way to go. To determine how much, I place some blociks of wood on the floor, get on the bike. Remove blocks from my stack till I 'feel right'. I measure the remaining block height, that is the number I short for when lowering. You must do the front and back equally to retain stock charateristics, though this is the time to change that if you want things different. If you need to lower it by an inch or less, you can get away with a lowering link and sliding the fork tubes up in the triples. Otherwise, a good suspension shop will have make spacers to suit. This is a good time to get the springs exactly for your weight and riding style. I ended up thinning my seat by an inch and shortening the suspenion two inches.

• YamaLink

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:26 AM

Greg,

Tried calling you this morning after I sent an email regarding your suspension setups, so I'll post here in the meantime.

Okay, by reading your latest post, here are my suggestions...

"It's a bit choppier." If you mean as in the rear suspension feeling a bit rude on the small tundra, I recommend either backing off the high speed compression just a bit - you went in 1/3 from where it was before. Try going counterclockwise a little bit - or back out the slow speed compression (the flat blade screwdriver inside the big high speed compression knob) one or two clicks. As you know, the slow speed/small flat blade on your bike is for the tiny/choppy/teeth rattling bumps and the big knob/high speed compression is for the g-outs, deep whoops and flat landings.

I was going to say decrease the rebound one or two clicks, but two clicks in is what you did after installing the YamaLink, and it should be perfect due to the increased leverage. So that leads us back to the previous paragraph comments.

And this may be another option....but only if your forks aren't feeling perfect now. Go in one or two clicks stiffer on your fork compression and that may actually help with the rear suspension because it lets the front end ride up in the stroke which helps shift the weight to the rear suspension which would help in the initial stroke. Again, try the rear shock setup first especially if your forks are spot on.

Sounds like we're almost there for your fine tuning! :ride:

I have an 07 and in a similar position as you. Searched all over for a short seat but couldn't find one. Step seats aren't any shorter but step up in the back. The only option was to shave the seat which I was talked out of by a couple TTers. I was reluctant to mess with the suspension also as the bike did great for me all the time except in those low speed situations where I had to stab a foot down on the low side. It boiled down to two options for me - either a professional suspension shortening or a lowering link. I opted for the the lowering link because my weight is within the range of the existing suspension and all I wanted to do was lower the bike an inch or so. I installed the link (easy - 10 minutes), adjusted the suspension per the directions, and noticed a big difference on the first ride mostly in the form of feet-on-the-ground confidence. Now I'm tweaking it a bit based on that ride. I've moved the fork tubes up about 3/4" on the front end and stiffened the compression a couple clicks from stock (was that way before lowering), reset my sag to 4", increased the high speed rear compression by 1/3 turn, and increased the rear rebound by 2 clicks. I do notice it rides a bit choppier but not an issue at all. The bike seems to handle a lot better and has improved the fun factor for me - the bike seems more like "my bike" now.

If you're interested check out Yamalink on this site. Dan is great and knows this stuff inside and out.

Greg

• Mrmonk7663

Posted August 03, 2008 - 08:21 PM

Is the Yamalink a diffrent product than the "lowering link" that was brought out a while back? If it is different...what is different about it? What makes it superior than other products of the same nature? Thanks man. I'm only 5'7" on a good day so I have some trouble too :-)

Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.