Oil filters? stainless of paper?

2 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted July 30, 2008 - 03:47 PM

I just want to hear everyones opinion on paper filters VS stainless filters in a modern yz450f ( I have an 08 and I am running OEM paper filters and change them every oil change). Here are some questions I have:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of paper filters?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of stainless filters?

What brand of paper filters work best?( OEM, K&N, Tusk, twin air,...)

What brand of stanless filters work best? (Scotts, Ready racing's comp flow,...)

I've heard that stainless filters should be cleaned as often as possible ( every ride or other ride) to keep them free of particles, is 6-8 hours too long to wait with an oil change?

What is the bestway to clean a stainless filter?

Any of this info would be great as any other info too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 30, 2008 - 04:11 PM

This is why the Common Threads thread was put there:

See also:

Cleaning: http://www.thumperta...027#post1381027

None of the copycat filters are equal to the Scotts, IMO

There is no more need to keep the mesh filter free of debris than a fiber mat type (paper). In fact, there's less. Mesh filters are of the absolute type. What it will stop, it will hold. Paper filters, because of their construction, are apt to release trapped particles back into the oil stream.

8 hours is not an excessive interval for a Scotts filter, but 2 hours is too long for some oils. I change the oil and filter every 3 rides, which can be 4-9 hours on the engine, but I use Amsoil MCF and MCV, both designed as engine AND gear lubes. There are but a few oils like this, and most will need to be changed in one or two rides because the trans beats them up.

• Jim813

Posted July 30, 2008 - 06:09 PM

woops I didnt think to check for a previous thread:bonk:

I too use amsoil.

Thanks for making it easy:thumbsup:

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.