WR450 -- Oil in Airbox

5 replies to this topic
  • mo-bob-jr

Posted July 30, 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hey all, I'm a newbie to 4 strokes and have a question regarding my 08 wr450...

Yesterday after a short ride I noticed oil dripping from my airbox down onto my swingarm. When I opened up the sidecover I noticed a pool (approx 2-3 ounces) of oil resting at the bottom of the airbox. I'm assuming I didn't get all of the old oil out before I added new oil during my last oil change even though I used both drain holes and compensated for not replacing the oil filter. Is this common if you there is too much oil in the bike? Thanks for the help. :ride:

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 30, 2008 - 02:30 PM

If you do a search of this forum you'll find more than 1 thread on this topic.

You likely have an overfilled engine.

Go ahead and search and read... but the one thing to remember is to make sure the dipstick is removed when you drain from the left side plug otherwise that resevoir is in a vaccum.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 30, 2008 - 02:42 PM

... but the one thing to remember is to make sure the dipstick is removed when you drain from the left side plug otherwise that resevoir is in a vaccum.

Yep. Last time I changed my oil I put the dip stick in (not even screwed in) while the oil was draining and it completely stopped the flow. I just wanted to see how much the vacuum affected the flow and it's substantial. It didn't just slow down the flow, but stopped it completely so that cap has to be off.
Still, you can't just use what the manual says to add oil and call it good. You have to run it through the engine a few minutes and check the stick. These engines have some variances. I like to drain both sides completely, add a quart and then slooooooooooooooowly add a little more until I get the level where I want it. Then I run the engine and recheck. It may take just a tad more at that point. For me it's been a total of about 1 qt and 3 oz after a complete drain with a filter change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mo-bob-jr

Posted July 31, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Thanks SJMC_DON and OUTERLIMITS. I did the same thing as you OUTERLIMITS and left the dipstick on but not screwed in. I thought it was able to breath enough but I guess not. Looks like its time for another oil change!

BTW......how often do you guys change the oil filter? Every oil change? Every 3 oil changes? Are the steel filters a better way to go?

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 31, 2008 - 11:40 AM

Thanks SJMC_DON and OUTERLIMITS. I did the same thing as you OUTERLIMITS and left the dipstick on but not screwed in. I thought it was able to breath enough but I guess not. Looks like its time for another oil change!

BTW......how often do you guys change the oil filter? Every oil change? Every 3 oil changes? Are the steel filters a better way to go?

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

If I have generally short rides of 75 miles or less I go with a filter every other oil change. Anything more and I prefer a new filter. I like the paper filters better than the steel. Don't know why, just gives me more of a warm and fuzzy. Plus, they are relatively cheap. I like to order the Tusk filters through Rocky Mountain MC Supply and will usually order about 4 at a time along with other items that push the bill over $100 then it's no shipping charges and zero tax. :ride:

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 31, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Typically every other or third oil change unless it's after a race and then it gets a new filter regardless.... I know I'm dumping alot of clutch fibers into during a race

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.