hydraulic brake light switch?

2 replies to this topic
  • ironfront

Posted July 30, 2008 - 09:02 AM

I am fixing up a '99 wr400 I had sitting in the garage for 5 years and I am having trouble getting the brake light to work. It has a hydraulic brake light switch on the rear brake. It is a plastic piece somehow attached to the big nut that holds the hose piece down in the rear brake lever assembly. When I hold the two wires together going into the piece, the brake light works... leading me to believe that the problem is inside the switch somewhere. Does anyone know exactly how this thing works? I pulled the nut off and I can't really see anything. It looks like the plastic thing on top MIGHT screw in but I am afraid to unscrew it and find out that it actually isnt a screw in. Any ideas?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • face_plant

Posted July 30, 2008 - 10:17 AM

there is a rod inside when you push the pedal the rod goes up and makes contact between the 2 wires and it has a return spring to keep it in the down position

• ironfront

Posted July 31, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I just bled the brakes and now it works! I guess some air worked its way in from sitting in the garage unused for 5 years.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.