03 WR450 starter sticking

5 replies to this topic
  • CMaD

Posted July 28, 2008 - 10:57 PM

I just got an 03 WR450 and the starter has stuck (I think) on it a few times. When I go to push the start button it just clicks, then I'll move the motor a little with the kick starter and then it will turn over with the starter. When I move the motor with the kick starter i hear the starter let go or something. Do I need to open it up and do some greasing of something. Dont know if the 04 starter upgrade thing has been done either.

• ebutner

Posted July 29, 2008 - 03:39 PM

Check your battery.

• willy_fitz

Posted July 30, 2008 - 03:36 AM

I just got an 03 WR450 and the starter has stuck (I think) on it a few times. When I go to push the start button it just clicks, then I'll move the motor a little with the kick starter and then it will turn over with the starter. When I move the motor with the kick starter i hear the starter let go or something. Do I need to open it up and do some greasing of something. Dont know if the 04 starter upgrade thing has been done either.

It is easy to tell if the 04 starter upgrade was done. The starter clutch gear cover on the 04 has a raised bump where as the cover on the 03 is flat. If this mod has not been done do it immediately or completely remove the clutch gear assembly and only use the kickstarter.
If you do not do this it will only be a matter of time before you suffer the dreaded woodrift key shear on the flywheel.
As to the starter working intermittantly it almost sounds as if the brushes may be sticking. You may want to overhaul the starter motor. Pay close attention to the brushes and make sure that they move freely in the brush holders. A good cleaning is usually all that is required but this may be a good time to replace the brushes.

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WakeSS

Posted July 31, 2008 - 04:39 PM

Have you been riding my bike CMaD?
Seriously I just bought an 03 WR450 and I'm having the exact same issue.
I ordered a new set of brushes. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem when I get them in.

Mine does not have the 04 starter mod...yet.

• NW_E-rider

Posted August 01, 2008 - 12:57 PM

willy_fitz- When you refer to the 'starter clutch gear cover' is that the idle gear cover? The starter clutch is bolted to the back side of the rotor, correct?

Reason I ask is my stator/rotor is fried, appears 2 of the bolts that go through the rotor (appear to hold on the starter clutch) sheared off and bounced around the rotor causing the stator to fail. I am now wondering if the woodruff key wasn't the initial failure...

RMJ

• willy_fitz

Posted August 05, 2008 - 06:15 AM

You are correct in this is the idle gear cover I was attempting to describe.
The starter clutch is actually part of the idler gear assembly . On the 03 model it was basically a one-way bearing. When the bike backfired, the bearing would cause a lockup of the starter and the rotor leading to the woodrift key failing. I just sold my 03 WR so I no longer have the manual to look at the drawings to see what you are describing but if you closely examine the taper on the main output shaft and see any scoring, you did have a woodrift key failure.

Hope this helps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.