Free Mods

8 replies to this topic
  • MotorCycleMike1

Posted July 28, 2008 - 04:20 PM

I have been looking through the forum, and am seeing alot of talk about "Free Mods". (Such as the gray wire) Can someone tell me what exactly they are??

Thanks
Michael

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 28, 2008 - 04:38 PM

I have been looking through the forum, and am seeing alot of talk about "Free Mods". (Such as the gray wire) Can someone tell me what exactly they are??

Thanks
Michael

1. Cut the throttle stop screw down, so you can get the full twist of the throttle
2. Unbolt and remove the air box silencer
3. Disconnect the grey wire on the ignition.
4. pull the cork out of the tail pipe. (you have to drill out a rivet)

that is the free mods. but you'll want to rejet at that point, which does cost a few $$.

I'd also recomend a new front tire and a aftermarket silencer.

• CMaD

Posted July 28, 2008 - 07:04 PM

1. Cut the throttle stop screw down, so you can get the full twist of the throttle
2. Unbolt and remove the air box silencer
3. Disconnect the grey wire on the ignition.
4. pull the cork out of the tail pipe. (you have to drill out a rivet)

that is the free mods. but you'll want to rejet at that point, which does cost a few $$.

I'd also recomend a new front tire and a aftermarket silencer.

what is the air box silencer?

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 28, 2008 - 09:34 PM

what is the air box silencer?

sometimes called snorkel or binoculars. it sticks out the top of the air box next to the battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CMaD

Posted July 28, 2008 - 10:22 PM

sometimes called snorkel or binoculars. it sticks out the top of the air box next to the battery.

ok, yeah I removed that the other day.

• MotorCycleMike1

Posted July 30, 2008 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for responding. What exactly does the gray wire do?

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 30, 2008 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for responding. What exactly does the gray wire do?

By removing it, it signals the CdI to use a different ignition curve. On my 08WR the change is only noticeable at RPMs over 8K.

This grey wire modification and all the other “free mods” are part of the AIS removal kit that Yamaha sells for about $65. And You get instructions and new jets with the kit too.

Yamaha designed the “free mods”. If you want to use the “easy button” just buy the AIS kit from Yamaha and follow the instructions, or you could even have the dealer install it.

• MotorCycleMike1

Posted July 30, 2008 - 05:58 PM

I dont think I will bother with the AIS kit. When I get a chance im going to remove the gray wire, check out my airbox, and look into the throttle stop.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 30, 2008 - 07:32 PM

I dont think I will bother with the AIS kit. When I get a chance im going to remove the gray wire, check out my airbox, and look into the throttle stop.

the throttle stop should be done first. mainly because the other mods are not worth while until you do the throttle stop.

its also the hardest. if you don't have a nice socket set with long extensions, then you'll have to take the rear shock off.

thease are the instructions for the 05 wr, to give you an idea.
http://www.southbayr...73&postcount=15

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.