grayracer, GOT TO HAND IT TO YOU

4 replies to this topic
  • bigred455

Posted July 28, 2008 - 03:35 PM

I started a post about the head pipe cylinder junction gasket. It protrudes into the exhaust port ,I temporarily used a O-RING ,just to test. You mentioned 8 gauge soft copper wire which by the way is a excellent idea. I went to Lowes they only had 6 and 4 gauge,I purchased the 6 gauge and made a gasket. Long story short the thickness of the 6 gauge just cleared the exhaust port,I mean just cleared it,too close for my comfort. I went to Home Depot and purchased 8 gauge made a gasket and it sits in the exhaust port with perfect clearance. How you pulled 8 gauge out of the air simply amazes me:thumbsup:

Just like a 2 stroke a 4 stroke needs to expel the exhaust gases efficiently.With a gasket that does not hinder the exhaust gases the 450 pulls longer with definetly more over-rev felt.The motor definetly feels thicker.

Hopefully the copper does not expand from use,like the KX's in the past did. The exhaust gasket on the KX's 2 stroke use to get really flat and thin with time. The stock YZ 450 uses copper on both ends inbetween the copper is some type of wire like steel wool. I am just running the copper gasket I made,we will see if it holds up. If IT LAST A GOOD 10 RIDES I WILL BE HAPPY,I PAID 1.80 FOR 2 FT OF IT. Which will get you about 5 gaskets.

gray again good call on the 8 gauge.:ride: ;) :p

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2008 - 03:43 PM

Make your check payable to.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigred455

Posted July 28, 2008 - 07:03 PM

Make your check payable to.....

LOL :ride:

• sandrappy

Posted July 29, 2008 - 09:53 AM

So you guys put a piece of 8 gauge solid copper wire where the exhaust gasket goes in the head to seal it up? i may have to try this grinding those crappy exhaust gaskets out to fit the port sucks.

I have used high temp RTV and it seals up pretty nice but can be a bit messy.

• bigred455

Posted July 29, 2008 - 02:48 PM

Actually I was trying the 06 pipe on my 07,and stumbled across this,give it a shot and you tell me.:ride: I was running a 155 main before this mod very hot and humid.After I made a gasket it ran very good with the 160,was very suprised it ran clean with the 160.

Home depot 8 gauge soft copper wire,to make it perfectly round I used a Craftsman 1 1/4 INCH SOCKET wrapped the wire around on the bottom of the socket,it will almost be the same ID it needs to be. Than I grabbed my die grinder with a cutting wheel and cut a little more off to make it fit.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.