2006 yz450f Piston Life

7 replies to this topic
  • timrandich

Posted July 27, 2008 - 04:45 PM

I have a 2006 yz450f with about 90 Hours. I change the oil every three hours and keep the air filter very clean. The bike runs great. I have only had to adjust the valves one time. And even then only one valve was barely out of spec.

THe bike starts first kick, usually, sometimes takes two or three. It uses no more oil now that it did was it was new. It still make great power.

Should I be thinking about replacing the piston anytime soon?

• rexbond007

Posted July 27, 2008 - 05:12 PM

no just keep riding, my 07 has 94 hrs on it, never adjusted valves. still bang on the valve measurements i made at 10 hrs.

• Whyzee429

Posted July 28, 2008 - 04:30 PM

I have an 07 also that is up there on hours. It still pulls strong. I don't want anything to possibly fail due to fatigue so I'll be doing the top end soon.

• mxracer206

Posted July 28, 2008 - 06:30 PM

I would definately think about changing it, even if the compression is still good the upper pin really takes a beating. Change the cam chain while you are there. That being said I guess a lot depends on how hard you ride the thing also.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted July 29, 2008 - 09:22 AM

I just rebuilt my whole motor (practically). My valves, piston, cylinder, and crank were all perfectly fine. However, I did have some crank bearings and "shift fork lever do-hoper thing" go out (or at least start too). I didn't even know that it was happenning either. My bike prolly had well over 100hrs (90%track) and started first kick every time and ran like a raped ape. Just good to take a look in there sometimes i guess :ride:

• rexbond007

Posted July 29, 2008 - 06:18 PM

i have 0 track hrs and 100% bush, no races and i barley rev the bike over 6,000 rpm. i expect to do a re build about 150 hrs.

• yamaha542

Posted July 30, 2008 - 08:52 AM

I just put a new top end in my 06, it has about 200 hrs on it and the rings were the only thing bad. Crack the head off and check what the piston looks like..... lots of carbon=remove and check ring gap and ring groove tolerance.

• clutchless

Posted July 30, 2008 - 09:03 AM

I have a 2006 yz450f with about 90 Hours. I change the oil every three hours and keep the air filter very clean. The bike runs great. I have only had to adjust the valves one time. And even then only one valve was barely out of spec.

THe bike starts first kick, usually, sometimes takes two or three. It uses no more oil now that it did was it was new. It still make great power.

Should I be thinking about replacing the piston anytime soon?

so many factors here on why you should and shouldn't.

many say on 4strokers that you needn't bother doing just the top end alone and you should do the bottem end as well.

then i have heard, that is hogwash and the bottem end is strong as all hell and there is no need.

i tend to lean in the favor of if it ain't broke don't fix it. but there is a hefty argument in the side of preventative maintinance.

also its how where and who you ride with.

i personally buy a bike every two years and ride it maintain it then sell it, don't mess with it unless something fails.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.