lost my 450 to my son

20 replies to this topic
  • mike_dean

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:59 PM

Went riding at the track today, my son's 250f clutch cable broke so while I was swapping it out from my 426, I let him take the 450, 45 min. later he was back but only because he ran out of gas, he couldn't stop talking about how he could clear everything so easy even without carrying any corner speed, gets back on his 250f and then he gets a front flat, while I'm changing that he takes the 450, again, he ran almost 2 tanks of gas thru it, at least he's fun to watch, if only out of the corner of my eye while I'm doing repairs. Mike

• boomman

Posted July 27, 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hey, how come your fixing your son's bike while he's having all the fun?

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:46 PM

'Cause that's what ends up happening. :ride:

• cbrewer450

Posted July 28, 2008 - 07:54 AM

Hey, how come your fixing your son's bike while he's having all the fun?

Cuz that's what Dads do..:ride:

• kain522

Posted July 28, 2008 - 08:09 AM

The first rule of having kids: What's yours is theirs, and what's theirs is theirs. I lost my KTM 250 to my son. I think he would run off with my YZ as well, but he's a die hard two stroke nut.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2008 - 08:44 AM

My kid always got the equipment and bike upgrades first. I had to wait. The upside of that is that my wife could never quite deny him his stuff, and then felt both that I had been a good dad to put him first, and that I had patiently waited to be put on the same level as him, so she complains fairly little about what I spend on the sport.

In the end, it works out. But he's 18, and a Marine recruit now, so the next one's on him. :ride:

• ace402

Posted July 28, 2008 - 09:37 AM

Cuz that's what Dads do..:ride:

True! But good dad's will also teach their sons how to wrench if they don't how.

IMHO, I think that if your old/big enough to ride a full size bike, you need to know how to wrench on it.

If he does, great! Do the work for him at the track, at least he knows how to do it if he needs to.

If he doesn't, you can teach him an invaluable lesson.

Cheers for spending time with your son! ;)

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Oh, I've taught him all kinds of stuff, but he has a way of getting me to do it for him anyway.

• Beanb1

Posted July 28, 2008 - 06:28 PM

LOL, you think it is over at 18?? My son is 30 and still riding my bike. He sold his to finish his second degree this year. I think it is like my dad said, they never leave home in one way or another. Hang in there Grayracer.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2008 - 07:35 PM

I will guess that you are probably right. Thanks for the "encouragement". :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX86

Posted July 29, 2008 - 10:32 AM

my dad has bought all of my bikes. i'm now 20 going on 21 and it's my turn to finally get my own.

when i first started riding he gave me two rules.

1.) you can only ride it if you can start it (8 year old trying to kick start his old 1984 yz490 did not go too well...)

2.) you are responsible for keeping the bike ready to ride. (granted there was a LOT of stripped bolts, and bolts under tightened that fell out through out the years) but i now have the abilities to fix pretty much anything on the bikes that may go wrong. and i've picked up so many trail fix idea's that actually work it's not even funny. there is so many thing simple zip-ties and ductape can fix so you can limp it back home.

bring the kid out in the garage and show him how to change tires, brakes, the coolent, oil, chain and sprockets. how to diagnose certian engine issues and what you can do to boost horsepower and how to maintain the speed through the corners so you can clear them jumps :ride:

• mike_dean

Posted July 29, 2008 - 02:04 PM

I've been a mechanic for 37 yrs, so sometimes it is just easier, I do teach all my kids (4), basics, but want them to stay away from my profession. Sometimes when riding time is limited I'm more competent and I'd just as soon let him ride. I was having a good time watching him with more power, riding wheelies thru the whoops, flat landing the doubles, and he didn't come in till his thumbs were bleeding. He was telling me the bike seems lighter than his 250 and much easier to ride, the only thing he complained about was cornering, he thought he was faster in the corners on his 250, the track was dry and hard packed. Well I got to go my oldest son wants me to help him put some Trick Flow heads on his Mustang, my son in laws 4 wheeler died, my wifes car needs an oil change, my daughters Escape needs a wheel brg, the rear spring mount on my son's Ranger rusted out, my Mother's A/C quit in her Town Car, and I still have to figure out why my TTR misses at full throttle at the GO Kart track. Mike

• grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2008 - 02:33 PM

I've been a mechanic for 37 yrs, so sometimes it is just easier, I do teach all my kids (4), basics, but want them to stay away from my profession.

Sounds eerily familiar...

Well I got to go my oldest son wants me to help him put some Trick Flow heads on his Mustang, my son in laws 4 wheeler died, my wifes car needs an oil change, my daughters Escape needs a wheel brg, the rear spring mount on my son's Ranger rusted out, my Mother's A/C quit in her Town Car, and I still have to figure out why my TTR misses at full throttle at the GO Kart track. Mike

OK, now you're scaring me. Luckily, I have a smaller family, and a less populous stable, but I did spend part or all of the last 3 (4?) weekends crawling around in my driveway under my son's Accord rebuilding the suspension after he stuffed it into a curb sideways :ride: ;) :rant: :p

• Quack

Posted August 09, 2008 - 05:21 AM

Thanks guys, my son is 9 and I have a mechanics backround and degree... now I know what i have to look forward too.:)

• hillclimbguy

Posted August 09, 2008 - 12:21 PM

I've heard all the stories. Lost my bike to my kids. I complain and complain.
"Dad I need to take something off your bike so I can go ride with the Guys"
I say yes, just put it back when your done. Next thing I see are his old bent up or broken parts on my bike.
This goes on for a while. I still complain. My daughters are worse, but i wont go there.
My wife says I like them coming to me for parts or take the car or whatever.
Now that they are going to college and getting jobs, I guess I shouldnt complain so much.
My dad once told me that when the kids came to see him and my mom that they would just give em candy so they would be happy and then give back to me. I always wondered why they were bouncing off the walls.
He always says "what comes around goes around"
I'm waiting for the day.

• desert-rat660

Posted August 09, 2008 - 01:42 PM

makes me think twice about having a kid :)

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2008 - 04:14 PM

makes me think twice about having a kid :)

This might change your mind:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=520743

• ericinmichigan

Posted August 09, 2008 - 04:27 PM

Mike, your family appreciates you more than you know. Heck, I would love to have a guy like you in my family, but I lost my dad when I was 9 months old. Appreciate the fact that you can help everyone, and don't be afraid to set limits. In the process of helping everyone and being so mechanical, your son is learning and appreciating your skills. In my opinion, you should be helping your son acquire good tools along the way and learn how to use them. It's great to have guys like you around!

• mike_dean

Posted August 09, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Thanks eric, actually I wouldn't give up any of my time spent with my kids, I enjoyed working on his bike and watching him ride mine. I spent last weekend with my oldest son, on his pit crew for the Nat Championship 24 hr mtn bike race, I was awake all night working on his bikes and lights, he raced solo from 10 am Sat. to 10 am Sun. and I wouldn't have traded my part in it for anything.

Desert rat, kids are more than worth it, the older I get the more I feel that way, I now have a grandson and that should be even better. Mike

• ericinmichigan

Posted August 09, 2008 - 06:18 PM

I knew you weren't really complaining...I could spot the fact that you LOVED seeing the boys have fun. Guys like you make me think that I really missed out by having my dad take his own life when I was only an infant. Keep it up...your kids are lucky, and so are mine (more lucky than I was). :-)

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.