How do I do a compression test on my 06 yz450

10 replies to this topic
  • Dan_187

Posted July 27, 2008 - 02:58 PM

I've searched but couldnt find nada, how do i block off the auto decompression??

• reed156

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:01 PM

u can't do a compression test there is no way to kik the motor over with out the compression relses u have to do a leak down test

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:06 PM

He's right:

http://www.thumperta...293#post6686293

• Dan_187

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:16 PM

thanks guys, my bike is ticking and now smokes out of the breather tube!!! :ride: ;)

its white smoke kind of looks like water vapor something. but you can also smell burnt oil when your around the bike

i think its worn valve seals letting oil into the combustion chamber. and a faulty head gasket that lets water into the system (produces the white smoke)

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:44 PM

If you have water/coolant in your oil, the oil will take on a distinctly milky/foamy look (visualize an oatmeal milkshake).

Oil that gets into the combustion chamber will produce smoke out the exhaust, not the breather. Oil, and for that matter, smoke (as distinct from steam), out the breather indicates combustion blow by in the crankcase, or simply too much oil in the sump. If it's blow by, it indicates a problem with the rings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_187

Posted July 27, 2008 - 07:18 PM

my oil is has never shown evidence of water contamination thats whats so strange but my coolant levels are always going down so it seems that it sucking water into the combustion chamber

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 07:27 PM

That's a possibility, but not related to the blow by/breather thing. If you coolant level levels off around the top of the radiator tubes, that's pretty normal behavior.

• Dan_187

Posted July 27, 2008 - 09:25 PM

If it's blow by, it indicates a problem with the rings.

What exactly is blow by? Oil from the combustion chmbr gets into the valve head and out the breather?

• Dan_187

Posted July 27, 2008 - 09:27 PM

If you coolant level levels off around the top of the radiator tubes, that's pretty normal behavior.

Unfortunately it is quite a bit down. Like a quarter gone, to the point where it makes the bike run hot, I was out at Perris yesterday and it ran pretty hot I wasn't sure why until I saw how low it was.

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 09:47 PM

What exactly is blow by? Oil from the combustion chmbr gets into the valve head and out the breather?

No, blow by is combustion gases getting past the rings and into the crankcase. The hot gases burns the oil off the cylinder walls and increases crankcase pressures and the net outflow through the breather.

If this suddenly appeared, and your oil level is in fact normal or below, you could have a scored cylinder.

• reed156

Posted July 28, 2008 - 11:30 AM

back to the coolent problem if the coolent is leaking into the engine it will either contaminate the oil or have white smoke out of the exaust u may also want to check your radiator cap for the propor presure and that the seal is in good shape

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.