High Altitude Riding

8 replies to this topic
  • Flosi77

Posted July 27, 2008 - 02:26 PM

Ok so i have a 04 yz450f and it runs like a complete turd up above 7,000ft the thing is a i'm going to be riding between 7-12 thousand ft next week and am lookin at trying to help it out a little so i can enjoy myself on the trail. ANyways i have started by dropping my main jet froma 172 to a 165....any other suggestions?

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 02:51 PM

In what range of altitudes do you normally ride?

• Flosi77

Posted July 27, 2008 - 02:54 PM

my home is around 1,200 and i typically ride up high like i am going to this week or down in mojave

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:04 PM

For a 8000-10,000 foot increase in altitude, assuming the temperature is roughly the same, multiply your normal home/Mojave main and pilot jet sizes by .91 to .93, and use the nearest size (Your 172 would be a 160-157)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flosi77

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:09 PM

thanks....yeah i thought 165 was still to big...guess i'll make some last minute changes before i head up tuesday

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:16 PM

Don't forget to drop the pilot by the same factor.

• rdefonce

Posted July 28, 2008 - 08:48 AM

Don't forget to drop the pilot by the same factor.

Good suggestions for hi-alt. one thing I notice you didn't mention is changing needle clip position. I have always moved it one clip leaner when going "up high" (home altitude only 500ft, hi-altitude 9-13k ft) but do you think that may not be necessary?

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2008 - 08:53 AM

Not always, and not even the majority of the time. The needle is a secondary metering device that modifies the flow of fuel after it is first metered through the main jet, so it has less fuel to work with when there is a smaller main.

However, every engine is different, and any given one of them may still be too rich at part throttle even with the smaller main. If it blubbers at a steady throttle between 1/4 and 3/4, then it's asking for less fuel, and you should drop the needle.

• rdefonce

Posted July 29, 2008 - 08:26 AM

Not always, and not even the majority of the time. The needle is a secondary metering device that modifies the flow of fuel after it is first metered through the main jet, so it has less fuel to work with when there is a smaller main.

However, every engine is different, and any given one of them may still be too rich at part throttle even with the smaller main. If it blubbers at a steady throttle between 1/4 and 3/4, then it's asking for less fuel, and you should drop the needle.

Hmmmm . . . next time I may leave the needle alone and change only the main.
I definitely don't experience any blubbering between 1/4 and 3/4 throttle.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.