426 Piston

1 reply to this topic
  • BASSic

Posted July 27, 2008 - 05:53 AM

I'm about to embark on a new cam chain installation on my 426, along with an 03 exhuast cam. I'm thinking that since I'll have the top end mostly apart, it wouldn't be too much extra effort to replace the piston, rings, wrist pin, and bearing.

Is this good practice or overkill? I've heard many reports of YZ 400/426 owners replacing pistons and finding out that the original is still intact. On the other hand, I've read many posts where people swear by top end rebuilds every few years just to be safe.

I have an 01 YZ426 that's all original and according to the guy I bought it from it hasn't been ridden hard. It never had the top end apart and never had the valves adjusted. I checked the valves when I bought it in December and they're still within spec (although they're close to the minimum allowable). This leads me to believe the guy I bought it from, that it hasn't been abused.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:41 AM

I'm thinking that since I'll have the top end mostly apart, it wouldn't be too much extra effort to replace the piston, rings, wrist pin, and bearing.

So far, you're wrong about two things.

One, there is no wrist pin bearing. Second, it's quite a bit more work to pull the head and cylinder. Still, rings are cheap, it could probably use a set. If you want, you can have a leak down test done to check how well they're sealing. If you decide on replacing them, replace the wrist pin and clips at the same time. You can decide about the piston when you see it.

Hone the cylinder with a spring ball hone:

http://www.thumperta...759#post4380759

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.