fork squeal = low oil?

4 replies to this topic
  • nickt916

Posted July 26, 2008 - 11:18 AM

i just rode my bike that i picked up a few days ago around my house and when i bounce on the pegs hard with both legs the front left fork squeals if compressed hard enough. When i bought the bike i noticed the left fork was leaking so i was able to lower the price of the bike a bit for that. so im assuming a lot more ran out than i might have expected? i think they cover the fork filling and how much and what oil in the manual dont they?

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 26, 2008 - 11:43 AM

i just rode my bike that i picked up a few days ago around my house and when i bounce on the pegs hard with both legs the front left fork squeals if compressed hard enough. When i bought the bike i noticed the left fork was leaking so i was able to lower the price of the bike a bit for that. so im assuming a lot more ran out than i might have expected? i think they cover the fork filling and how much and what oil in the manual dont they?

rocky mountain atv has a nice video on youtube. part 1 and 2.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickt916

Posted July 26, 2008 - 12:13 PM

ill look at the vids in a few mins after done with lawn, but i dont need to change seals, maybe just clean, so the squeal = low on oil yes? bike has 25-30 hours should be seal...i hope atleast

• xrmarty

Posted July 27, 2008 - 12:22 PM

My forks squeal once in a while and then it goes away. I doubt you are low on oil. Have you seen any leaks? If your forks are loosing oil, you will know it by seeing oil. Is your suspension feeling any different? You could be hearing sqeeky bushings in the swing arm or rear shock.

• Rolls7

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:38 PM

My brother's '07 WR 450 had leaky fork seals once .After he replaced the seals and fork oil his forks would make a terrible squeaking sound whenever the suspension was pumped up and down .We thought he had put them together wrong .It turned out to be that while they were leaking , oil had saturated the brake pads and that was where the noise was coming from .The brakes dried up and the noise went away all by it's self after a short time ( maybe 200 mi ) .
When you,re bouncing on the bike , you,re probably using the front brake . And , isn't the brake on the left side ? I'd bet the noise is no big deal , but you should check the fork oil level . The manual tells what the proper level is and how to check it .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.