?s about buying a used head

4 replies to this topic
  • rfelker

Posted July 26, 2008 - 05:38 AM

I can get get a 03-05 head used for cheap. It has a problem with the cam journals. They will need to be welded in re-machined. Is this worth it or should I walk away. Was planning on rebuilding my topend this winter with copper valve seats, pc valve springs etc. thanks

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:54 AM

Contact EDCo about prices and then decide as to the feasibility.

What are you doing with the bike that you have a reason to want different seats and springs?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rfelker

Posted July 26, 2008 - 07:44 AM

I was going to rebuild the head thats on bike now. And use the other head on the bike so I could ride. For the price wouldn't I be better with the copper and the pc springs. Let me know what you think. thanks

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2008 - 11:24 AM

The factory seats and Ti valves, when set up and machined correctly, last multiple 100's of hours, and the OEM springs (about $6 each) almost never fail in "ordinary" use by the typical recreational rider/private amateur racer. Unless you are building a pro level race bike, or a seriously modified flat track/sumo bike, I see no advantage to going outside of OEM parts, and several possible disadvantages.

• KJ790

Posted July 26, 2008 - 01:31 PM

I agree with Gray. Unless you are running a very radical cam profile that requires stiffer valve springs, you can't beat the stock springs (especially for the price). Stock valves and seats are relatively inexpensive when compared to aftermarket Ti valves, and last just as long, if not longer.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.