supermoto front tyre rub

7 replies to this topic
  • dazzawr

Posted July 25, 2008 - 02:57 PM

hi guys,
anyone had a problem with front tyre rubbing against fork guard holders when forks compress?

I have 03 WR450, and fitted talon wheels with correct spacer for brake side and original speedo drive, 17" tyre is 120/70.

Also 320mm " braking " disc runs very close to caliper bracket slot about 0.5mm one side and maybe 3mm on the other .ie not centralised in slot. Talon confirmed I have correct bracket TB14 and hub is correct 72295.

confused now

• roushxteam199

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:29 PM

i never have heard about this. you have any pics?

• Snakko88

Posted July 27, 2008 - 03:31 AM

Had a similar prob with yamaha motard rims and a "braking" brand caliper on a 320mm disc. Had to machine up a axel spacer to centre everything! You may also have to use washers to space your caliper bracket.

Ive got Talon motard rims on now and they seem to fit better but I still have the dedicated caliper, not the caliper extender bracket!

• wr 400 mikky

Posted July 27, 2008 - 10:26 AM

:ride: mine rub too, wr400f, 98`
just buy spare cheap fork guard sliders off ebay, talon gold hubs, morad blue rims,120 diablo corsas, beringer disc and caliper, i`ll post pics soon,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dazzawr

Posted July 28, 2008 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for replies>

roushxteam199, yes if I can figure out how to post them

Snakko88, agree was thinking that too about washers

wr400milky, did you consider thinner tyre,, are there other options than 120.. think my rim is 3.5,,,

Based in luton, any uk guys do track days ..did a few on sports bike and fancy doing some on SM

• wr 400 mikky

Posted August 18, 2008 - 08:35 AM

hi, thinner tyre, havin none of it,i`ve moved to greece now and need all the grip i can get,
i`ve moved from safest country in europe (road deaths per year)
to the worst, i don`t even go on road at weekend`s in summer, so many people die on bike`s here it`s shocking
so i`ll stick to back roads and the dirt,
good excuse eh??

• doctorchopper

Posted August 18, 2008 - 11:35 AM

had the same problem eith my 01 wr426, wore right through the guide, didn't seem to effect th function of the fork gaurds so i never did anything about it, the fork gaurd never fell of and i raced enduros on the bike for 2 more years after i noticed it rubbed through, so id say don't worry about it

• wr 400 mikky

Posted August 21, 2008 - 12:17 PM

yea, mine are rubbed thro, and i still have the spare one`s on the shelf, :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.