Did the grey wire but no difference???

14 replies to this topic
  • Wilma397

Posted July 25, 2008 - 09:13 AM

Ok so i did the grey wire mod on my wr 450, throttle stop was already done and it doesn't seem as though the bike has gained much more, if any, power. The bike has an fmf pipe on and was running fine before the mod. At first i thought it needed to be re jetted afterwards but the power is still smooth and isn't bogging down or anything. The only thing i can think of is to open the air box up a bit more and rejet but will this make a difference if the the bike is running ok now and not bogging down?
Thanks guys, Ross

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 25, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Ok so i did the grey wire mod on my wr 450, throttle stop was already done and it doesn't seem as though the bike has gained much more, if any, power. The bike has an fmf pipe on and was running fine before the mod. At first i thought it needed to be re jetted afterwards but the power is still smooth and isn't bogging down or anything. The only thing i can think of is to open the air box up a bit more and rejet but will this make a difference if the the bike is running ok now and not bogging down?
Thanks guys, Ross

I only noticed grey wire benifits in the over 8K RPM range. very noticiable on a long grade(hill).

• ebutner

Posted July 25, 2008 - 12:20 PM

05 WR450... Do I need to remove the tank to get at the wire? Tks

• freeriders98

Posted July 25, 2008 - 05:40 PM

on my 98 wr400 I had to pull the tank to get at the wire. You may be able to do it by removing the plastics

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 25, 2008 - 07:13 PM

2005 yes, its under the tank.

• Wilma397

Posted July 26, 2008 - 02:43 AM

Yes you have to remove the tank but its very easy to do and you don't have to disconnect the fuel line. There's a good video on you tube wich shows you exactly wat you need to do and how to do it, just type in wr250 grey wire mod and you should be able to find it

• Ridon

Posted July 26, 2008 - 07:45 AM

I noticed a huge difference when i did the grey wire mod on my WR450 04. The bike became more agressive than ever...:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SPLATT

Posted July 26, 2008 - 10:48 AM

I only noticed the difference in the upper rpm's but little if anything down low.

Steve

• ebutner

Posted July 26, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Yes you have to remove the tank but its very easy to do and you don't have to disconnect the fuel line. There's a good video on you tube wich shows you exactly wat you need to do and how to do it, just type in wr250 grey wire mod and you should be able to find it

Awesome. Thanks. Got it done by going back in the shop while working today. The video helped a ton. Now I'll go after work and turn it on and see if i can feel anything diffeerent. Thanks again for the assistance.

Eric:thumbsup:

• Wilma397

Posted July 26, 2008 - 12:54 PM

Awesome. Thanks. Got it done by going back in the shop while working today. The video helped a ton. Now I'll go after work and turn it on and see if i can feel anything diffeerent. Thanks again for the assistance.

Eric:thumbsup:

No problem Eric, the video helped me out alot too...glad i could help :ride:

• ebutner

Posted July 28, 2008 - 07:48 AM

I had done the exaust and jetting when I got the bike new... The gray wire I finaly did this weekend.... What a different bike. I fell in love with my bike again. It even sounds different at higher speeds... WOW that's all I can say...Wow. Thanks to the cool folks here showing me the light ( youtube video) I now have a hot rod. happy trails dudes!

• RSAthump

Posted July 28, 2008 - 08:37 AM

I noticed it on high rpm range, a nice example was, i could only get 110kms hour our of my bike at sea leve;, now on pulling 140kms an hour at altitude!!

• Strattos

Posted July 28, 2008 - 07:10 PM

Does anyone know if it's more noticeable on models '06 and older? Does it have the same impact on 07 and 08 models? Also, after having a bit of a search through out forums, i'm having trouble finding out if there are any risks or detrimental effects to the motor by doing the grey wire mod?

• Alternative

Posted July 29, 2008 - 06:31 AM

Does anyone know if it's more noticeable on models '06 and older? Does it have the same impact on 07 and 08 models? Also, after having a bit of a search through out forums, i'm having trouble finding out if there are any risks or detrimental effects to the motor by doing the grey wire mod?

The grey wire mod should go hand in hand with the throttle stop. The wire was to alter the timing slightly at higher RPM to account for the reduced throttle opening. On the older ozzie and NZ models, they didn't have the long throttle stop or the grey wire, so to answer your last question, no it won't have any detrimental effects on the engine, that's how it's meant to run when you can twist the throttle all the way.

• Strattos

Posted July 30, 2008 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Alternative. I'll get into it tonight, as that's about the only thing I think i prefered on my WR426, which was a sensational bike. If you saw a corner coming up which was a few metres further than you expected, that beautiful motor would just keep making power to the rev limiter. You could just hold it on.
Having said that i love my 08. Just getting used to it that's all. Seems to flatten off a lot earlier.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.