Starting the bike...

5 replies to this topic
  • Richard56

Posted December 16, 2002 - 03:58 PM

When I first bought my 98' WR400F, I have no starting problems... I need not pull the choke knob out... now, I have to pull the choke knob in order to start the bike.
After warming-up the bike, when I rev the engine, I notice black smoke coming out of the exhaust... But after riding a bit, the smoke is gone... This all happen in the first start of the day... Why??? :) :D :D

• Taffy

Posted December 17, 2002 - 10:56 PM

difficult one to answer that!

i would say that the smoke when it starts is because you tryso hard and for so long to start it.

so why doesn't it start? well the technique is a big thing with these machines and it's a point that doesn't get mentioned too often on this site or anywhere for that matter.

i think you should get a #60SJ and meet other WR riders to discuss the starting technique.

Taffy

• rookie517

Posted December 17, 2002 - 11:34 PM

Maybe you should try cleaning your carb.

Clean carb fire up easily.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Richard56

Posted December 18, 2002 - 04:52 AM

Not to brat... but I have no problem starting any thumper (all 4-stroke)...
That kick out the "starting technique problem" anymore ideas?? :)

• BrandonW

Posted December 18, 2002 - 02:02 PM

I believe that the WR/YZ family has a starting technique that is unique to other 4-stoke bikes.

Here is my drill:

Depress the kickstart lever until it resists;
pull in your decompression lever and push the kickstarter down no more than 1 inch;
release the decompression lever and allow the kickstarter to go to its' highest point;
then kickstart the bike in one long deliberate motion, gaining speed throughout the stroke.

Use the choke when it is cold; use the hot-start if the bike has gone down. The procedure is simple, but I believe that it MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY.

Good luck, and I hope that you overcome the starting issues.

• drkarnes

Posted December 18, 2002 - 03:34 PM

Have you checked your spark plug? If it's even a little bit sooty, that will affect starting. The way your bike clears up after riding is exactly what was happening to my bike before I changed my spark plug--which by the way needed changing because my air cleaner was dirty causing me to run rich. I hope it's something simple like that.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.