YZ450 Kick starter problems

7 replies to this topic
  • vetexp790

Posted July 23, 2008 - 08:10 AM

Any one?, also have problems with the kick mechanism on the YZ450? I've broken the kick starter ratchet and the small stopper, when the bike kicks back,and also blown thru the back engine case. Only conclusion I'm finding is my laziness with using the hotstart lever??? All it takes is one violent kick back, and the internal mechanism is broken. Three diferent bikes,03's to an 05 on four occasions?? I've checked timming, fresh plugs, fresh fuel? Just wondering, if any one has experienced this,and how it was corrected? Thanks

• Dirtbiker05

Posted July 23, 2008 - 08:18 AM

i broke my kickstart on my 08 about a month and a half ago. kicked back, hit my boot and the stop just couldnt take it and broke off. had to buy a new one. check out www.crotchrocket.com. about $100 on there for the kickstart lever itself.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:36 AM

Of all of my YZ450's, only one ever kicked back once. It sounds like you're doing something basically wrong in starting it.

• clutchless

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:50 AM

Of all of my YZ450's, only one ever kicked back once. It sounds like you're doing something basically wrong in starting it.

x2. giving a thumper gas while starting = :thumbsup:

it will kick back all nasty on you.

if your bike is running right, you barely even have to put any effort into it.

just smooth kicks from TDC.

now my 1949 Panhead... that thing will break your leg before the kickstarter goes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rfelker

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:08 AM

Ive never had kick back. When starting cold, I turn on the gas, 4 twist of throttle and pull choke. Starts 2nd kick everytime. When I hot start I pull in hotstart kick it 1 or 2 times and it starts. Only time Ive ever had it hard start is when I dumped it. Which kicked hard once then 3 times to start. Its a 03 and has went though 2 owners and myself. After saying all this probably go out tonight and cook the engine. Thats my kind of luck.

• vetexp790

Posted July 23, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Yup, we've got a "47 servi car here and as you said, that kicks. You would think that after all these years my two stroke starting habits would have dissolved? But I'm I the only one who breaks these internal parts? Any upgrades, or should I have my hand tied behind my back? Thanks.

• clutchless

Posted July 23, 2008 - 11:43 AM

Yup, we've got a "47 servi car here and as you said, that kicks. You would think that after all these years my two stroke starting habits would have dissolved? But I'm I the only one who breaks these internal parts? Any upgrades, or should I have my hand tied behind my back? Thanks.

aha, i just buy OEM parts for stuff like that. not sure why.

my buddy does the same thing. he kicks and twists.

he always has troubles. just practice starting it kicking softly.

you will see how easily they start if you do it right.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2008 - 11:52 AM

should I have my hand tied behind my back?

One thing you can do is to slide your right hand inboard on the bars a bit and grab hold of the throttle housing with your thumb and forefinger. This makes it much more difficult to twist the grip as you kick, regardless of habit.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.