Convert WR 400 To Electric Start

12 replies to this topic
  • chambers

Posted July 23, 2008 - 06:38 AM

IS there anyway that a WR400 can be converted to an electric start? What parts would be required or would it be more hassle than its worth?

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:26 AM

No. Do a search. It's been discussed numerous times in the past.

• DGXR

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:26 AM

I thought WR's came with e-start...?

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:32 AM

The 400's and 426s did not. Aftermarket conversions were all impractical due to extreme weight and cost. Easiest way to convert... get a 450.

• creeky

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:13 PM

IS there anyway that a WR400 can be converted to an electric start? What parts would be required or would it be more hassle than its worth?

It's not worth it. Just keep that right leg in shape, freebie.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 24, 2008 - 11:51 AM

I am beginning to realize that e-start, while nice, isn't absolutely necessary. I have a yz250 that I ride now. I have to kick it. Knowing that, I try harder not to stall it. When I do have to kick it, its not a big deal.

I think that a properly jetted wr450 is as easy to kick start as a yz250.

if your wr400 is all setup for you, I wouldn't trade it for e-start.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted July 24, 2008 - 08:06 PM

i only use the e-start on my 450 if i screw up in a creak of something . like maybe once a month . you don't really need it .

• yz-dwg

Posted July 25, 2008 - 06:06 AM

i only use the e-start on my 450 if i screw up in a creak of something . like maybe once a month . you don't really need it .

I must be a big screw up 'cause I use mine all the time....I do fall down alot....:ride:

• GCannon

Posted July 25, 2008 - 07:11 AM

I am beginning to realize that e-start, while nice, isn't absolutely necessary. I have a yz250 that I ride now. I have to kick it. Knowing that, I try harder not to stall it. When I do have to kick it, its not a big deal.

I think that a properly jetted wr450 is as easy to kick start as a yz250.

if your wr400 is all setup for you, I wouldn't trade it for e-start.

Maurice is right on here:thumbsup:

Being the proud owner of a 426 I find that if you turn up the idle when in rocky technical section it helps a lot with the stalling.

A properly tuned WR should start first kick every time:banghead: ( you guys did not need me to tell you that)

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 26, 2008 - 12:02 PM

Maurice is right on here:thumbsup:

Being the proud owner of a 426 I find that if you turn up the idle when in rocky technical section it helps a lot with the stalling.

A properly tuned WR should start first kick every time:banghead: ( you guys did not need me to tell you that)

Shhhhh.... on the idle thing.

I sometimes race my 450 in enduros and that's my little trick. It doesn't mean anything with the amateurs and experts, but with the beginners and a few of the novices, it makes me look like I know what I am doing. (when I don't!)

You definitely got to cover that rear brake though. turning up the idle kinda neutralizes the engine braking.

• ncampion

Posted July 27, 2008 - 07:41 AM

A Rekluse clutch takes care of the stalling thing.

• turbohead

Posted August 08, 2008 - 12:40 AM

You don't need to spend all that money and spannerwork to get an e-starter on a WR400. An Edelbrock carb is much cheaper and easier to install. You can forget all Keihin related problems and get a bike so easy starting it's just like a dream. And it's lighter, too...

• ParrotJuice

Posted August 08, 2008 - 02:51 AM

with some creativity, you might be able to convert the kick starter gear into a e starter, but then you wouldn't have an e start

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.