Salt water cleanup

4 replies to this topic
  • billoyd

Posted December 15, 2002 - 08:32 PM

Just got back from 250 mile beach run down in Baja. Have any suggestion on getting that salt water off and stopping any corosion before it begins?

• Burnrider

Posted December 16, 2002 - 01:27 PM

Just like getting something in your eye, "Use copious quantities of fresh water". Carwash it and fresh water rinse it. My chain used to seize up by the time I made it home. If its a good chain I would use a soap/ water/ wd-40 lube to claim future use. Salt is hard on everything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pdx_drz400

Posted December 16, 2002 - 02:25 PM

I squirt simple green full strength all over my bike after each ride, especially on the lower half. Seat and plastics just get car wash except for the hard to reach places-they get more simple green. Rinse with the hose. Then spray WD40 on everything except the pipe and brakes to chase the water away and wipe with a towel. I don't ride in sand or salt water but it seems that simple green would be great for that too.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted December 19, 2002 - 04:57 PM

Billoyd - Try a product called Salt-Away (www.saltawayproducts.com). I use it on my Sea-doos and it eats up the salt. You can get it at any dealer that sells personal water craft. Of course, if you are riding a wheelie it won't get wet - just pull the front end up and balance out!

• nickn

Posted December 20, 2002 - 12:25 PM

Hot water with some dishwashing detergent works real good. The hotter the better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.