Again 2008 Yz450f Versus 2007 Yz450f

30 replies to this topic
  • rmz250114

Posted July 24, 2008 - 10:44 AM

I have a Fatctory 4.1 on my 08, it made a big difference over stock. More bottom end pull. I do think it's funny seeing all the posts on here. These are 450's, do actually think you are using all of the power the bike produces? No. So a couple of horse power is not going to make or break your race. Even on starts, I used to race a KTM 200sx in 250B (when 250 B was 450's and 250 2-strokes) and get great starts. You can have all the power in the world but if you can't put it to the ground and get traction you will go nowhere. Oh yeah and momentum helps just a little. Thats just my opinion on 450's.

• Justin89

Posted July 24, 2008 - 10:46 AM

i have a FMF factory 4.1 slip on coming for my 08. ill let you know how it goes when it comes versus stock.

Team that with a Ti Megabomb and you'll have some power:busted: :ride:

• j-ripper

Posted July 24, 2008 - 04:10 PM

ok peps, lets stop the bickering,lol. heres whats really up, 1st, OF COUSRE YOU SHOULD GO WITH THE 08!!! its a no brainer,suspension is the bomb in stock form, if you live close we can meet up and you can ride mine!! since the 03 is the ONLY 450 yamy i can compare to,,im not sure if its the 4speed trany but it felt like it had more balls cause that year feels like it has a hit(it made my 250 feel like a 125 when i got back on it!!) my 08 only has the i-kat on it cause i still stall it in motos(losing 2nd place will do that,lol)

• j-ripper

Posted July 24, 2008 - 04:21 PM

about the honda??? my good buddie has an 07 crf 450 with 72hrs on it with NO PROBLEMS, he races b class so you know its not babied. it does have more BOTTOM then the 08 yamy,BUT the 08 yamy has waaay more top and overrev!!! oh yeah both bikes are stock too. see, but heres the thing, you will clutch the yamy more cause of that fact. people that dont clutch the crap out of a 08 yamy will complian about it, but once i started douing that it became a different animal,, way,,way more fun to ride,,just gotta hold the heck on!!!!

• adamdf

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Yeah i know its been here before and i we been googeling it MANY times..
but i really need to know of people who are riding 2008 yz450f model with aftermarket exhaust that is it still LAME compairing to 2007 yz450f model..
i can still change my order....and for me i dont care that much of the handling
i think i get used to all types...so the whole reason to get an mx bike is to get one with RAW POWER and if its not there i am going to be wery dissapointed...so drag race and track race an 2008 with dr.d full system jd.jetting and r&d power bowl versus 2007 with same aftermarket stuff
what is the power difference is stil that 2 hp and lack of h mid range hit with2008.......please good long full filled reports of users:worthy:

I cannot help but say that it sounds to me like you are into getting an MX bike for the wrong reasons. But anyway, neither bike's motor is different by design, its the same motor with different cam specs and a few very minor tweaks, the point is at the end of the day you can achieve the power you need with both an 07 and an 08, you wont be stuck trying to sell one to get the other if that is what you are concerned about. But back to my original point, if your buying a new model mx bike, try to use it for what it was built for, you wouldn't show up to a gun fight with a knife, would you? If drag racing is your thing and you must have an mx bike, then save yourself some cash and buy an older model for that purpose. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xorron5

Posted July 25, 2008 - 02:03 AM

I will be driving long and fast tracks and allso acompanied with some crf450
and cr500...so i dont want to be the under dog...buy any means...but thanks
to all u guys u convinced me over 2008..and thats the one i will keep:applause: :ride:

• Drfletcherdc

Posted July 25, 2008 - 08:39 AM

If you want the most powerful engine and don't care about handling get the KTM 505, otherwise 2008 Yamaha.

• DMC707

Posted July 26, 2008 - 03:28 PM

I just bought a new '08 because the changes on the '09 didn't justify the extra coin (the 08 was about 1000 cheaper)

I wouldn't say the stock pipe was necessarily down on power --- it had plenty, but for me it was hard to ride and you had to clutch the hell out of it to do anything

I just got the Dr. D stainless/carbon system from BTO, and that was all it needed ---- i don't know if it makes any more actual power, but it makes a lot more in the part of the powerband where i need it. Its much more fun to ride

Almost any bike has compromises, --- The YZ has the best stock suspension of any bike i've ever ridden -- i am out $200 bucks for stiffer springs and thats it (i weigh 225) -- no real need for re-valving or any of the other things other bikes might need. 5-6 years ago , this was works bike level suspension

So if i can fix the motor for 459.95 (BTO's price for the Dr D Al./stainless system), then i am getting out cheap. I'll take the stable Yammy anyday over the twitchy Honda that has to have a damper installed on it from the factory

• DMC707

Posted July 26, 2008 - 03:33 PM

I will be driving long and fast tracks and allso acompanied with some crf450
and cr500...so i dont want to be the under dog...buy any means...but thanks
to all u guys u convinced me over 2008..and thats the one i will keep:applause: :ride:

Unless your riding buddies are pros, you won't be under gunned at all ----- any new 4 stroke 450 is considerably slower then a big 2 stroke CR or KX 500, but those bikes are so fast , regular people rarely use more than 3/4 throttle, no matter how fast the track is

• xorron5

Posted July 28, 2008 - 09:18 AM

Yeah i we been searching with cats and dogs an dyno report of an -08 yz450f
with an aftermarket pipe but all there is an dyno report with the stock pipe,not with aftermarket exhaust...
so what i really would like to know is the low and mid range power
that do u get that at least the lost 5-6 hp back or not compairing with the other bikes or with an -06 model....:ride:

• j-ripper

Posted July 29, 2008 - 01:36 PM

Yeah i we been searching with cats and dogs an dyno report of an -08 yz450f
with an aftermarket pipe but all there is an dyno report with the stock pipe,not with aftermarket exhaust...
so what i really would like to know is the low and mid range power
that do u get that at least the lost 5-6 hp back or not compairing with the other bikes or with an -06 model....:ride:

if yous wanna know the dyno specks, go to twobros. website. they have them for every bike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.