Again 2008 Yz450f Versus 2007 Yz450f

30 replies to this topic
  • xorron5

Posted July 23, 2008 - 04:11 AM

Yeah i know its been here before and i we been googeling it MANY times..
but i really need to know of people who are riding 2008 yz450f model with aftermarket exhaust that is it still LAME compairing to 2007 yz450f model..
i can still change my order....and for me i dont care that much of the handling
i think i get used to all types...so the whole reason to get an mx bike is to get one with RAW POWER and if its not there i am going to be wery dissapointed...so drag race and track race an 2008 with dr.d full system jd.jetting and r&d power bowl versus 2007 with same aftermarket stuff
what is the power difference is stil that 2 hp and lack of h mid range hit with2008.......please good long full filled reports of users:worthy:

• DPW

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:04 AM

need raw power...go find a '03 YZ450F.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Once the exhaust is changed, the '08 lacks nothing.

In my opinion, the Power Bowl is a waste of money.

• Stroker06

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:48 AM

I read in MXA that the 2006 YZ450F is the highest horsepower bike. the 07 is less and the 08 is even lower than that. I'm not sure about the older bikes hp numbers.

• DPW

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:54 AM

I read in MXA that the 2006 YZ450F is the highest horsepower bike. the 07 is less and the 08 is even lower than that. I'm not sure about the older bikes hp numbers.

That's the funny part every year the YZ4xxF gets smoother. I remember when the '05 came out and everybody complained about how boring the power was and then the '06...same story and '07..etc

We had the monster in '03 and we complained about that too...

• matts06yzf

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:54 AM

The 08 is a great bike. My 06 and 08 on pavement the 08 would pull on top. The 08 Handles much better and is a great bike. I am actually gonna buy another 08 instead of a 09. I have ridden several 07's since owning my 08 and it just doesnt turn the same period.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:58 AM

Dyno numbers don't support that. The '06 has the broadest power curve of any of the 3 stock. The '07 has slightly more peak power with slightly softer low/mid, and the stock '08 has even more power at peak (roughly two more than the '06). The trouble with the '08 is the soft spot at around 5-6000 rpm, which is caused by the exhaust, and cured by changing to almost any other pipe.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:26 AM

need raw power...go find a '03 YZ450F.

yea DPW that is a great start...want more power add a big bore kit to it....and hold on for dear life!
:thumbsup:

• clutchless

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:06 AM

but i really need to know of people who are riding 2008 yz450f model with aftermarket exhaust that is it still LAME compairing to 2007 yz450f model..
i think i get used to all types...so the whole reason to get an mx bike is to get one with RAW POWER and if its not there i am going to be wery dissapointed...so drag race and track race an 2008 with dr.d full system jd.jetting and r&d power bowl versus 2007 with same aftermarket stuff
what is the power difference is stil that 2 hp and lack of h mid range hit with2008.......please good long full filled reports of users:worthy:

get the cheaper bike. they are the same when you do your mods.

• Justin89

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:28 AM

I have an 06' yz450f and I have ridden my buddy's bone stock 08' yz450f and they both feel a lot different. The 08' felt (to me) like a riding a 250f that was beefed up. It was very, light and nimble and seemed very well centered and grounded. I could tell that it turned better than my 06' but not a whole heck of a lot... it also reved a lot higher (to me again).

Now my 06' is different story. It has much stronger of a hit down low and just RAW grunt. It supposed to be the bike that dosent handle as well (I think it handles just fine to me and I came form a crf) but with the best power out of the three. However, I have changed to 22mm RG3 clamps and tried a number of different front tires. IMO the 07 is the same as the 2006 with less power or hit or whatever you want to call it.

I've had the chance to buy all three but Ive chosen to stay with my 06' because I feel it is just as capable of keeping up with any 07 or 08 out there. If I were you I would prolly but the 07 if there is a big price difference but if there isn't, then just buy the 08'. Now if were talking 09's then its a different story cause those are looking flat out AWESOME!!!:thumbsup: Good luck and keep us updated...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted July 23, 2008 - 12:41 PM

I took the full Leo Vince X3 system off of my '06 and put it on my '08.

I have not had it anywhere that I can really wind it out yet but my first two rides have been tight woods-type trails and I can say that the low end grunt of my '08 surpasses that of my '06.

I run a 48t rear sprocket so I can go faster in 1st and 2nd gear but even with the slightly taller gearing the bike will effortlessly loft the front wheel over logs/roots/rocks/ledges right off of idle.

• j-ripper

Posted July 23, 2008 - 01:17 PM

hell yeah!!! my friends 03' literaly eats my 08,, think yamaha went backwards?

• bigred455

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:36 PM

hell yeah!!! my friends 03' literaly eats my 08,, think yamaha went backwards?

look towards the end of the race and you would change your mind.

• xorron5

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:18 PM

THANKS for taking part of the thread...its said that dont buy an ower 3 year
old mx bike and thats why i need to decide between -07 and -08..
the prize difference would be just 200 euro so thats why i might have to go with the -08 and then again spend some serious cash to make it an powerhouse...i was allready leaning torwards crf450 but my dealer tould me that piston and valves dont last nothing compairing with yamaha..
the thing is that i bought about 2 months ago an drz400 and i put allmoust
ewerything on it FCR 41MM ,FMF Q2 full system, ATHENA 435cc ,HOTCAMS intake and out take ,airbox mod, jets and needles.....but the bike is f*** BOORING....so thats why i want an power house the next best thing to CR500
so any body still out there who hasnt taken part of the thread ,please go a head
and tell me how u feel about this question....:p :ride: ;)

• xorron5

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:37 PM

J-RIPPER have u done any mods for the -08 or still with stock pipe...?

• matts06yzf

Posted July 24, 2008 - 05:52 AM

J ripper is wrong period. Ask Ga he has a 03 and a 06 and his 03 is built the 2003 will feel faster off the bottom but a 06 and up will out run it side by side. I believe gray had a 2003 also and his 06 would also out run it. But the 08 is a very good bike and these bikes arent made for dragracing. I can basically bet my life that you cant use all the horsepower any 450 has to offer on a track correctly. They are all very fast and I rode a 08 crf450r again yesterday and I cant tell any power difference but the forks are horrible on it. The Honda is also built it was Jake Marsacks supercross bike that he podiumed with at Daytona, however it was stock suspension because his A kit stuff is on his outdoors bike. The Yamaha is alot smoother but very fast and the Honda is more bamn its there then fast. The Yamaha is for sure easier to ride its a steady smooth power. Get the 08 and get an exhasut if you run stock exhaust on the 08 it sucks.

• MaddogYZ

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:04 AM

If you want brute power than buy a CRF450, unless you're super human and ride A LOT of hours the cr's topend will last very long. The yamaha's are more durable but the honda's are pretty darn tough as well. The CR's have mellowed power over the years as well so the older the bike the more knarly the hit.

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:05 AM

J ripper is wrong period. ... Get the 08 and get an exhasut if you run stock exhaust on the 08 it sucks.

That's what I'm thinking. The '03 puts out about 48 hp with a good pipe. The stock '06 turns up an even 50, and the '08 with the cork in its backside produces about 52 in spite of it, and revs better. Put a DRD, or almost any other decent muffler on it, and you'll find you don't need to spend any more on power.

• live4speed

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:20 AM

have you ever ridden a 450F? NONE OF THEM ARE SLOW OR DISSAPPOINTING!! sounds like you need a sportbike brotha!

• Dirtbiker05

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:24 AM

i have a FMF factory 4.1 slip on coming for my 08. ill let you know how it goes when it comes versus stock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.