Throttle Stop on 98 WR400 can't find it

18 replies to this topic
  • freeriders98

Posted July 22, 2008 - 09:33 PM

So I just bought a 98 400. And am trying to do the free mods. But I can't seem to find the throttle stop. Does the 98 have this? I was using this link http://dirtbike.off-...l.jsp?id=266303
to help my with it. Is it possible that the person rather than cutting it down just took it off?

• freeriders98

Posted July 22, 2008 - 10:27 PM

Also How exactly do I "cut" the grey wire. Should I just snip it with enough room to splic it back together if needed

• jmkybf

Posted July 23, 2008 - 02:21 AM

For "cutting" the grey wire, you can actually remove it from the connector. On the female connector, get a really small flat head screwdriver or a narrow thin strip of metal or whatever, and there is a tang on the metal connector inside the plastic connector that you can depress and then pull out the wire. I would then put some electrical tape over the bare metal end to keep it from shorting anything out. This way if you ever want to put the grey wire back in, all you have to do is slip it back into the connector.

• William1

Posted July 23, 2008 - 02:33 AM

The throttle stop is on the back side (airbox side) of the carb The stop is installed at an upward angle and 'hits' the throttle wheel to prevent the throttle from going over center.
No, you should not ride with it removed.

• freeriders98

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:08 AM

So is it easiest to remove the carb to do this mod

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted July 23, 2008 - 11:00 AM

I think it's easier with the carb off, but some guys do it with it on. Make sure you don't disconnect your TPS!!

• William1

Posted July 23, 2008 - 12:21 PM

If... you have ball end allen drivers for your rachet, on the bike is easy. If you have "L" ball end allen wrenchs, it can be done on the bike but is a pain. If you do not have a ball end allen wrench at all, then you have to at least remove the shock.

• maxtherat

Posted July 23, 2008 - 06:13 PM

I think it's easier with the carb off, but some guys do it with it on. Make sure you don't disconnect your TPS!!

If you are removing the carb there is no problem with disconnecting the TPS. just make sure you unplug it and you don't unscrew it from the carb body.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:32 PM

If you are removing the carb there is no problem with disconnecting the TPS. just make sure you unplug it and you don't unscrew it from the carb body.

that's what I should have said:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freeriders98

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone you all are studs

• freeriders98

Posted July 24, 2008 - 11:41 AM

does anyone have a picture of a 98 wr that could point it out to me. I think I found it on mine, but there is no screw there at all. And on the FAQ link the picture it shows is for an 04 WR250, and mine throttle set up looks nothing like that. If the screw is gone is that ok, should I just cut the grey wire and ride it.

• jmkybf

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:16 PM

It could be possible that the previous owner removed it instead of cutting it down. It looks nothing like the the one in the FAQ link. If you open up the throttle all the way, it is what the throttle hits. It's behind the accelerator pump linkage and the throttle linkage. There is a hex part on the bottom of the screw. In the link that you posted, the guy's finger is pointing to it. Hope that helps.

• freeriders98

Posted July 24, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Ok then it has been removed. Is there any reason to need to put one back in.

• jmkybf

Posted July 24, 2008 - 04:00 PM

Some people have had a problem with out putting one back in. Sometimes the TPS will read past full throttle and do weird stuff with the ignition. I've read of reports of the bike sputtering and not wanting to rev right. I would put one back in there just for peace of mind. I don't know if not having one could cause internal damage from opening the slide too far.

• William1

Posted July 24, 2008 - 04:17 PM

If it is missing, install it. The throttle wheel can go over center and jam at WOT.

• maxtherat

Posted July 24, 2008 - 05:14 PM

If it is missing, install it. The throttle wheel can go over center and jam at WOT.

The man is right. This can happen.Just spend the $7 and buy a YZ stop.

• freeriders98

Posted July 24, 2008 - 05:30 PM

OK I will go buy a YZ stop. One question and this may be a dumb one. What is the WOT? I have seen it now in several posts but no idea what it is.

• jmkybf

Posted July 25, 2008 - 02:39 AM

wide open throttle

• freeriders98

Posted July 25, 2008 - 06:21 AM

so simple. Thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.