Use clutch when engine off?

10 replies to this topic
  • dcdave

Posted July 22, 2008 - 01:34 PM

I know this is a possible stupid question but does it hurt to shift gears without using the clutch when the engine is off? Like when you're trying to find neutral to start up the bike? My son wants to know (actually I do).

thanks.

• CRF250X Rider

Posted July 22, 2008 - 01:37 PM

lol, no. (atleast I hope not or I have some problems to take care of)

• klxd

Posted July 22, 2008 - 03:04 PM

No. Nor does it hurt the gears to shift without using the clutch while it's running.

• awesomodrumboy

Posted July 22, 2008 - 04:51 PM

No. Nor does it hurt the gears to shift without using the clutch while it's running.

ON THE CONTRARY. DOWNSHIFTING with out using the clutch will no harm. up shifting on the other hand will. because their is a load on the dog's.

• Racer24

Posted July 22, 2008 - 05:29 PM

ON THE CONTRARY. DOWNSHIFTING with out using the clutch will no harm. up shifting on the other hand will. because their is a load on the dog's.

there isnt any load if u let of the throttle for a second...that way no torque from the crank will be transmitted...so for that one second it is like the clutch is in and the hub and basket are spinning freely...

• Markopolo400

Posted July 22, 2008 - 05:38 PM

Do a search. This has been discussed a billion times.

Shifting without the clutch (Even WFO) does not hurt anything. As long as you don't downshift too quickly causing the engine to rev past the limiter.

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted July 22, 2008 - 06:00 PM

Not looking for an argument, but I've been upshifting with no clutch on all my bikes, and the dogs are still square, but I use atf. :thumbsup:

• MTO

Posted July 22, 2008 - 10:15 PM

is that what the clutch is for, shifting?
and all these years I thought it was just for going and stopping. :thumbsup:

• awesomodrumboy

Posted July 22, 2008 - 10:36 PM

Do a search. This has been discussed a billion times.

Shifting without the clutch (Even WFO) does not hurt anything. As long as you don't downshift too quickly causing the engine to rev past the limiter.

pssch...WHATEVER. i still don't believe you. :thumbsup:

• LeadDoggy

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:12 AM

I know this is a possible stupid question but does it hurt to shift gears without using the clutch when the engine is off? Like when you're trying to find neutral to start up the bike? My son wants to know (actually I do).

thanks.

I've been putting my trans in nentral with engine off for years and have never had any transmission problems.
So IMO, NO it will not hurt the gears when engine is OFF

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:28 AM

thanks.

No harm, in fact, its the preffered method as its easier to move it around gears that way.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 350 EXC-F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

KTM 350 EXC-F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Bike review of my 2015 CRF250R by Justwant2ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

KTM 300 XC 2015 by motonack

KTM 300 XC 2015
  • 1 review
  • Last review by motonack
  • On September 23, 2014
Forums
Photo

Let's see pics of your exotic bikes by dirtwiz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Exotics
  • Hot  796 replies
Forums
Photo

Durability of the 2013/2014 kx250f how has yours held up? by Tony477g

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • Hot  88 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.