08 WR450F Gearing?

33 replies to this topic
  • TriCal

Posted October 24, 2008 - 09:39 AM

What tires do you suggest for the 450 for the winter season?
Some say dunlops, some say maxus! What do you run for the trails where you kind of get all kinds of terrain!

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted October 24, 2008 - 01:06 PM

I just put a 52 on my bike(same as yours) and love it. Works great....

• TriCal

Posted October 25, 2008 - 01:16 PM

I just put a 52 on my bike(same as yours) and love it. Works great....

Do you ride Hollister?

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 25, 2008 - 04:30 PM

What tires do you suggest for the 450 for the winter season?
Some say dunlops, some say maxus! What do you run for the trails where you kind of get all kinds of terrain!

Norcal doesn't get wet enough to benefit from a mud tire.

The dunlop d756 offers very good traction but wears far too fast for my tastes. Especially on that crap adobe soil on the bottom portion of hollister.

I've had good luck with the d952. I actually have a couple of kendas I'm going to try for the next two changes (trakmaster II, Carlsbad). I've come to the conclusion that a tire is only going to last so long on the back of these things anyways so might as well go for a tire I can get a good deal on.

The maxxis IT is a good tire as well but now their prices are pretty much on par with dunlop so the value aspect is gone IMO

• ViperDan

Posted May 27, 2011 - 08:04 AM

I am running an 08 WR450 13/52 Rekluse Pro, FMF 4.1 with Mega bomb, JD kit and AIS removed full FC suspension including base bolts (what a improvement) and GPR damper.. Tire setup I found for New England is the MT16 front and (120) rear - The best upgrade was the Rekluse, I ride roots rocks and Nasty rock hills, and I would NEVER be without it.. If the hill gets jammed up I can STOP in the middle twist the throttle and go right up.. I got the Rekluse Pro and because I wanted to be able to use the clutch, but I have not used it since. I start the bike in second most of the time, run the trails in third and fourth still have eng brake unless I pull the clutch then it free wheels, crack the throttle and eng brake back. You can adjust when you want the eng braking.. The bet setup I have had to date!! I just ordered the left hand rear brake setup and I am waiting for it to come in.

My sentiments exactly on the clutch control :smirk:
Not saying I wouldnt try the Recluse but I dont think I could live without the engine braking/lugging and so on.
The HS's and CC's sound like a lot of fun.
Im waiting to hear back from my suspension guy about possibly replacing the forks and shock with race ones as appose to the internal spring and re-valve upgrades. Have also thought about a Scott or Elka steering damper too, do you run a steering damper? Il post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

• jlow

Posted May 27, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Been debating on going to a 12/51 or a 12/52 gear change. Took my rekluse out, sitting on the work bench. I agree with tribal, for big nasty hills, the rekuse doesn't help that much. The other thing I didn't like about it was the on/off feel of the clutch. I needed the control and slipping ability of a manual clutch. I've got a scotts street bike damper on my bike. Damps both ways vs the dirt damps only on the way out. Love it for the rocky stuff.

• Fruitfarmer231

Posted March 23, 2012 - 01:05 PM

Is anybody running a Recluse on the 08 WR450F for tight stuff?

Is anybody running a Recluse on the 08 WR450F for tight stuff?

I've got a Dynaring, which is similar to the 2.0 Rekluse, just a substitute for 2 or 3 plates, not even sure if they are still available. This is mounted on my 05 WR450. I was having stalling issues with the bike, and that pretty much cured that problem. It does engage a bit more slowly out of corners, might be just the way I ride, but it seems to keep the rear in line. You would have to adjust a bit, in that you can't lug the engine quite so much, and need to keep it in a gear lower than you might normally do. That' what I have found, for the most part when you do lay it over, it keeps running. I would do it again, but this time go with the Rekluse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted March 26, 2012 - 11:41 AM

Rekluse Z start Pro, 16/48 gears. Great combo. 60mph is 5000rpm. I use lhrb so hills are actually better now

http://youtu.be/rqLIrhUQUy0?hd=1

Edited by n16ht5, March 26, 2012 - 11:44 AM.

• Stealth13

Posted March 26, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Rekluse Z start Pro, 16/48 gears. Great combo. 60mph is 5000rpm. I use lhrb so hills are actually better now

http://youtu.be/rqLIrhUQUy0?hd=1

Can you still wheelie with that combo?

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 15, 2015 - 01:43 AM

I'm running stock sprockets on my 2008 450
I do more road riding and it revs it's tits off at 90 kph what ratios should I look at ? Want it to be comfortable at 100ks

Cheers guys

• GuyGraham

Posted May 15, 2015 - 04:59 AM

Whats 'stock' on an Aus bike?

When mine had 13/50 (stock UK sizes) it would do over 90mph which is like 150kph, so if your bike is revving its tits oof at 90kph (which is about 50-55mph) something's wrong

These bikes do rev (11K redline) so if you are comparing it to an old air cooled 4 stroke single then its apples and oranges, and you need to recalibrate your brain as to what high rev's are

Edited by GuyGraham, May 15, 2015 - 06:22 AM.

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 15, 2015 - 05:04 AM

Yeh 50 on the back don't know what's on the front

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 15, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Whats 'stock' on an Aus bike?

When mine had 13/50 (stock UK sizes) it would do over 90mph which is like 150kph, so if your bike is revving its tits oof at 90kph (which is about 50-55mph) something's wrong
These bikes do rev (11K redline) so if you are comparing it to an old air cooled 4 stroke single then its apples and oranges, and you need to recalibrate your brain as to what high rev's are

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 15, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Yeh bought this 08 wrf after having my yzf450 03 for years.
I thought it was just geared high from factory

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.