08 WR450F Gearing?

33 replies to this topic
  • TriCal

Posted July 22, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Hey there yammy 4 banger dudes.:thumbsup:
I just bought an 08 WR450 and I love it but Im having a little trouble in the very tight technical stuff. I have a great 03 WR250 and find myself a lot quicker than any of my buddys on the likes of the very tight/technical Troll Trail in Hollister but they are smoking me when Im on the 450.:thumbsup:
Yes it is a heavier bike to lug around but I feel Im riding the clutch and front brake way too much in the really slow parts and that tires me more than the weight issue.:thumbsup:
I prefer to use the engine compression to hold me back rather than the back brake. (handy when you need to put the right foot down or keep both feet up in a steep downhill rut!)
I love this kind of stuff and the stock 13/52 gearing on the 250 works really well for me but the stock 13/50 on the 450 just seems too fast to put my foot down when crossing obstacles and pushes the front too much when on sharp downhill turns. I plan to get into the enduro scene pretty seriously later this year and dont want to lose too much top end speed. Does anybody know what the best setup is for this kind of riding? Would the 13/52 be a good bet baring in mind I like hauling ass on the fire roads too or would it still be too fast for chuging over/around obsticals?
Any info on the enduro scene and good places to practice would be greatly appreciated aswell as Im not originally from the Bay Area. I live in San Francisco.
I look forward to hearing from you guys :thumbsup:

• chevytrkn1

Posted July 22, 2008 - 04:25 PM

thats the gear setup im going too on my 07 450, To high geared for the trails i ride also. If my sprocket shows up soon ill let ya know how much difference if any i noticed

• TriCal

Posted July 22, 2008 - 06:32 PM

Cheers dude, I ordered a 52 rear for it today.
I hope to try it out this weekend.
Il let ya know how it go's.

• tribalbc

Posted July 22, 2008 - 11:58 PM

13/52 is what I run on my 07 for tight woods, racing HS's and CC's. You won't need the clutch much anymore and you'll hardly notice the loss in top end :thumbsup:
You'll hardly touch your clutch if you change your exhaust :thumbsup:

• TriCal

Posted July 23, 2008 - 04:08 PM

13/52 is what I run on my 07 for tight woods, racing HS's and CC's. You won't need the clutch much anymore and you'll hardly notice the loss in top end :thumbsup:
You'll hardly touch your clutch if you change your exhaust :thumbsup:

That sounds great, thanks :thumbsup:
I have ordered a 52 rear for it.
I have a full leoVince system on it, JD Jeting and the AIS crap removed!
I hope it should be good now, I have been told that a Rekluse clutch is a gift on the thight stuff, have you any experience on this?
Do you do any enduro stuff?

• tribalbc

Posted July 23, 2008 - 06:29 PM

That sounds great, thanks :thumbsup:
I have ordered a 52 rear for it.
I have a full leoVince system on it, JD Jeting and the AIS crap removed!
I hope it should be good now, I have been told that a Rekluse clutch is a gift on the thight stuff, have you any experience on this?
Do you do any enduro stuff?

Sounds like you have your bike well set up :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of the Rekluse :thumbsup: I tried the pro model on a Gas Gas 450. I think it's a personal preference thing because lot's of people seem to love them. I've ridden dirt bikes for 30+ years so clutching when shifting or stalling isn't even a thought to me. I couldn't live without a clutch for hillclimbing so toss the left hand rear braking idea. I also like engine braking and lugging, not to mention impossible hill's where turning around with a Rekluse would be a nightmare :bonk:

There are no Enduro's in our series here in BC. Just Hare Scrambles and Cross Country's. A HS is generally a 10 - 15 mile loop run for 2.5 to 3 hrs where a true CC is just one big loop over the same time frame. Our races tend to be very tight and gnarly though in BC's mountain terrain. In the 2.5-3hrs we generally cover 30 - 45 miles :thumbsup:

• ophir

Posted July 23, 2008 - 08:35 PM

Will the 52 go on with the stock chain?

• TriCal

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like you have your bike well set up :ride:

I'm not a fan of the Rekluse :p I tried the pro model on a Gas Gas 450. I think it's a personal preference thing because lot's of people seem to love them. I've ridden dirt bikes for 30+ years so clutching when shifting or stalling isn't even a thought to me. I couldn't live without a clutch for hillclimbing so toss the left hand rear braking idea. I also like engine braking and lugging, not to mention impossible hill's where turning around with a Rekluse would be a nightmare :mad:

There are no Enduro's in our series here in BC. Just Hare Scrambles and Cross Country's. A HS is generally a 10 - 15 mile loop run for 2.5 to 3 hrs where a true CC is just one big loop over the same time frame. Our races tend to be very tight and gnarly though in BC's mountain terrain. In the 2.5-3hrs we generally cover 30 - 45 miles :rant:

My sentiments exactly on the clutch control ;)
Not saying I wouldnt try the Recluse but I dont think I could live without the engine braking/lugging and so on.
The HS's and CC's sound like a lot of fun.
Im waiting to hear back from my suspension guy about possibly replacing the forks and shock with race ones as appose to the internal spring and re-valve upgrades. Have also thought about a Scott or Elka steering damper too, do you run a steering damper? Il post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

• TriCal

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:37 PM

Will the 52 go on with the stock chain?

Im guessing by the over loose tension on the chain and adjustment left on the swing-arm, yes easily. BUT Il let ya know friday if mine arrives by then :ride:

• tweav

Posted July 24, 2008 - 02:47 AM

I'm guessing you did not have your rekluse set right for your riding style .I have mind set to just slightly engauge at idle so it still engine brakes . mine is the pro model so I can still clutch the bike when ever it just pulls in easier . I don't have the rear brake lever ,but it would have it's uses. I have no idea why you would say a rekluse would make a hillclimb harder . with mine I can restart in the middle off the hill if I dump it and the bike does not even stall. the rekluse makes tractoring a bike around a breeze. Yes I also have a damper

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TriCal

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:50 AM

I'm guessing you did not have your rekluse set right for your riding style .I have mind set to just slightly engauge at idle so it still engine brakes . mine is the pro model so I can still clutch the bike when ever it just pulls in easier . I don't have the rear brake lever ,but it would have it's uses. I have no idea why you would say a rekluse would make a hillclimb harder . with mine I can restart in the middle off the hill if I dump it and the bike does not even stall. the rekluse makes tractoring a bike around a breeze. Yes I also have a damper

So ya dont lose the enging braking at all then? :ride: That is cool. Any disadvantages?

PS. What damper do you use?

• beezer

Posted July 24, 2008 - 07:44 AM

I really don't like the rekluse that much but friends on YZ 450's and WR's swear by them.

The pro model is really adjustable. You can make it do anything you want.

• tribalbc

Posted July 24, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Like I said I tried the pro model. Yes it still engine brakes some but it does disengage the clutch in time

I'm talking steep big unclimable? hills. Yes I know I can still use the clutch for climbing - no advantage here.
But these are hills were you precariously turn your bike around, go down and try again. No mid-hill starts.
In these situations the rekluse would be a nightmare :ride:

• tribalbc

Posted July 24, 2008 - 08:02 AM

My sentiments exactly on the clutch control :ride:
Not saying I wouldnt try the Recluse but I dont think I could live without the engine braking/lugging and so on.
The HS's and CC's sound like a lot of fun.
Im waiting to hear back from my suspension guy about possibly replacing the forks and shock with race ones as appose to the internal spring and re-valve upgrades. Have also thought about a Scott or Elka steering damper too, do you run a steering damper? Il post some pics tomorrow if I get a chance.

No damper, I guess I'm too old school ;)

I think they could actually be good for more open fast terrain then I tend to ride

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 24, 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hey there yammy 4 banger dudes.;)
I just bought an 08 WR450 and I love it but Im having a little trouble in the very tight technical stuff. I have a great 03 WR250 and find myself a lot quicker than any of my buddys on the likes of the very tight/technical Troll Trail in Hollister but they are smoking me when Im on the 450.:rant:
Yes it is a heavier bike to lug around but I feel Im riding the clutch and front brake way too much in the really slow parts and that tires me more than the weight issue.:p
I prefer to use the engine compression to hold me back rather than the back brake. (handy when you need to put the right foot down or keep both feet up in a steep downhill rut!)
I love this kind of stuff and the stock 13/52 gearing on the 250 works really well for me but the stock 13/50 on the 450 just seems too fast to put my foot down when crossing obstacles and pushes the front too much when on sharp downhill turns. I plan to get into the enduro scene pretty seriously later this year and dont want to lose too much top end speed. Does anybody know what the best setup is for this kind of riding? Would the 13/52 be a good bet baring in mind I like hauling ass on the fire roads too or would it still be too fast for chuging over/around obsticals?
Any info on the enduro scene and good places to practice would be greatly appreciated aswell as Im not originally from the Bay Area. I live in San Francisco.
I look forward to hearing from you guys :ride:

I’ve been down troll on my 08WR twice. But I’m kind of a novice.…. I can tell you what helped me out. Assuming you’ve done the free mods and rejeted.

Step 1. Replace the 739FA front tire. I replaced it with a Michelin M12, its better. Can’t say if it’s the best of not. But it’s better.
Step 2. Replace the stock silencer, (GYTR tip won’t help). It kills low-end power. With a decent slip-on I’m able to chug over larger objects at lower RPM with less clutch work.
Step 3. www. Southbayriders .com , that is where you can get local info.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 24, 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hey there yammy 4 banger dudes.;)
I just bought an 08 WR450 and I love it but Im having a little trouble in the very tight technical stuff. I have a great 03 WR250 and find myself a lot quicker than any of my buddys on the likes of the very tight/technical Troll Trail in Hollister but they are smoking me when Im on the 450.:rant:
Yes it is a heavier bike to lug around but I feel Im riding the clutch and front brake way too much in the really slow parts and that tires me more than the weight issue.:p
I look forward to hearing from you guys :ride:

I ride enduros on my 05 and had to deal with the exact same issues. At one point, I wondered if I had bought the wrong bike. The bike is fine.

If you have the stock 739 tire on the front, then log off of TT right now and go buy a D756. Remember with the Dunlop tires, the higher the number, the stickier the tire.

A 52 rear sprocket will help you a lot. You'll crawl through the technical stuff a little better, but you will do it in second (easier) instead of first.

Stay off the brakes! It makes the bike slow down. Turn up your idle just a hair and it will help with your clutching in the technical stuff. Cover that rear brake though. The faster you go, the lighter the 450 feels. Pretend you are on the 250, stand up and toss that bitch around. The wr's like it rough. You will be surprised at how well it sticks if you keep it moving.

My personal opinion is that the front end really likes to push on wr450's. I backed of the rear sag about 5mm and then raised my forks in the triple clamps about 7mm. Now it carves like a knife.

• starfish

Posted July 24, 2008 - 03:38 PM

Theres no single track in san fran. Unless you ride mt tam.........do the 52 the chain fits. Have the fork and shock reworked and sprung by a pro. suspension guy. And move before california falls in.:

• tweav

Posted July 24, 2008 - 06:23 PM

So ya dont lose the enging braking at all then? :ride: That is cool. Any disadvantages?

PS. What damper do you use?

I think there maybe a slight power lose by the rekluse and so extra heat generated but I've never have any issues with ether of these . My bike is making 52.1 hp with the rekluse in so . It's really nice when you drop your bike in the tight stuff and it does not stall and you can just throttle the bike over stuff with no clutch . this is very nice when your pushing the bike over and around stuff .

as far as a damper I have a scott's sub mount . it's saved my butt a few times on the high speed stuff

P.s. I have nearly crashed because of the rekluse , I was not paying attention to what I was doing . I was in a parking lot the bike was running out of gear and it was idleing a little fast . anyhow when I climbed on to the bike I stepped on the shifter and the bike took off . It took me a like 20 ft to get control of it . so now it I go to mount the bike I just make sure I pull in the clutch . It made me feel really retarded but Oh well . This just shows you to not ever drop your gaurd

• TriCal

Posted July 28, 2008 - 09:44 PM

Ok, had the 250 and 450 in upper lake over the weekend. I put a 52 sprocket on the back of the 450. Perfect for these kind of trails :ride: I found the green and blue (easy) trails not as easy as easy trails elsewhere and the black diamond trails not so hard. All in all the riding is pretty much the same all over the area, except for trail 38 which we didnt ride because of fuel range on the 450. 33 miles and had to switch to reserve!! The 450 really likes gas in this kind of terrain :p Next time we go we will still stage out of cc camp (as it is the best camp and the only one with running water) but take the bikes up in the back of the pickup to penny pines to start from to ride trail 38.
Spent most of the time in 2nd on the tighter trails, had a few stalls in 2nd and 3rd over the tight stuff, my 450 stalls so easy! :lol: I dont ever recall stalling the 250 in the year that Iv owned it! I think a rekluse might be a good tool for the 450. All in all upper lake is great riding but not as big as people usually describe and we found nothing as tight or difficult as troll trail in hollister, unless trail 38 is, we will find out next time. BE WARNED :rant: the mx shop in upper lake sucks!! Its not because they dont have lots of cool gear and stuff cause they do, its because when we arrived in cc camp on friday evening we couldnt help but take the bikes out for a quick rip, I didnt get half way across the creek before my front tire went flat! Didnt have a spare tube and besides I hate changing them myself cause I always end up pinching the new tube! Anyway we whiped off the wheel in the hopes that the shop would be open by at least 9 the next morning, next morning came and we were sitting outside the mx shop thinking about the valuable riding time we were missing :D Sometime soon after 9:30 along came a guy to open up, we were so happy to see him! It was short lived though as after he opened up, turned the heavy metal music up annoyingly loud and made himself busy standing behind the counter doing nothing! He explained to us that quote: WE HAVE TOO MANY PROJECTS ON TODAY TO FIX YOUR TIRE. In the 10 minutes I was trying to talk him into doing it he would have had it done!! NO GO :p On the way out of the shop we met another local customer outside so I asked him was there anywhere else that might fix it? He said the guy inside was full of s##t and too lazy, and to go to HONDA LAKEPORT, well thats what we done and they were very friendly and fixed the tire right away so we could get back to riding. Well done Honda Lakeport which is a YAMAHA dealership too ;) ps they have a killer deal on 2 new WR450F bikes, would have saved a grand on what I paid for mine!
Anyway it was a fantastic weekend of riding and would highly recommend this place for intermediate to expert riders :mad:

• TriCal

Posted August 01, 2008 - 06:46 PM

Is anybody running a Recluse on the 08 WR450F for tight stuff?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.