08 WR450f vs 02 YZ426F

9 replies to this topic
  • RSAthump

Posted July 22, 2008 - 08:28 AM

:thumbsup:

Hi all, I have an uncorked 08 WR450f, all free mods done. I rode my friends 02yz426f over the weekend, His YZ has a WR gearbox and WR rear Fender and WR Headlight cluster and cowling.

One thing shocked me, the fact that his bike was so much faster, and when I hit the throttle, my arms felt like they were coming out of their sockets!

Logic tells me that the 450 should be stronger, than the 426, is there something wrong with my bike or is his the YZ inherently faster? He bought the bike secondhand, and it has a std pipe and it seems its pretty standard, any of you ridden both these bikes to give me a fair comparison?

Cheers:bonk:

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 22, 2008 - 08:54 AM

:thumbsup:

Hi all, I have an uncorked 08 WR450f, all free mods done. I rode my friends 02yz426f over the weekend, His YZ has a WR gearbox and WR rear Fender and WR Headlight cluster and cowling.

One thing shocked me, the fact that his bike was so much faster, and when I hit the throttle, my arms felt like they were coming out of their sockets!

Logic tells me that the 450 should be stronger, than the 426, is there something wrong with my bike or is his the YZ inherently faster? He bought the bike secondhand, and it has a std pipe and it seems its pretty standard, any of you ridden both these bikes to give me a fair comparison?

Cheers:bonk:

the stock WR pipe is a turd:thumbsdn: . even compared to stock with GYTR tip, a slip on made a huge difference on my WR. the head pipe is also smaller diameter.

what jetting are you running?

how is your rear tire? my WR is much snapier with a fresh rear.:thumbsup:

• beezer

Posted July 22, 2008 - 09:45 AM

A WR also has a detuned exhaust cam. They aren't fast until you get rid of that.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 22, 2008 - 10:26 AM

A WR also has a detuned exhaust cam. They aren't fast until you get rid of that.

every bit helps.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 22, 2008 - 10:43 AM

full system comprising of an '07 YZ header and a white bros e2 muffler transformed the power on my scooter. It leaps to attention at small increases in throttle so I don't think the cam is necessary.

DS is right, the stock can is really restrictive. I've noticed a bigger decrease in exaust temps with an open exaust than when I removed the AIS...and that sucker makes the exhaust HOT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 22, 2008 - 11:10 AM

Also, to be fair, the WR was not intended as a drag race bike. It has very good hookup and linear power built for an entirely different purpose. Keep in mind it is slower reving also due to the heavier flywheel. WR's are deceptively quick without you really noticing it. I'm guessing your ride was also a seat of the pants impression rather than a straight up drag? :thumbsup:

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 22, 2008 - 11:47 AM

full system comprising of an '07 YZ header and a white bros e2 muffler transformed the power on my scooter. It leaps to attention at small increases in throttle so I don't think the cam is necessary.

!

worthless without pics!!!!

but yeah, just with my slip-on the throttle is almost telepathic to small throttle changes.. but it still feels managable. I'll probably end up on my arse once it gets muddy.:thumbsup:

It blows me away how much better my bike runs with a new rear tire. Too bad all the sharp edges are gone after 2 rides :thumbsup:

I agree with OUTERLIMIT's decptively fast bit.

with a cam and a full exhuast and a lightend fly wheel, it'll probably be scary fast.

• RSAthump

Posted July 23, 2008 - 01:49 AM

Thanks Guys, Im running Stock jetting at more or less sea level, well do a drag and see, I think you are right that the WRs are deceptionally fast, due to the smoother power delivery, I was planning on changing the stock exhuast system anyway. :thumbsup:

• tribalbc

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:26 AM

Thanks Guys, Im running Stock jetting at more or less sea level, well do a drag and see, :

Well you haven't done all the free mods yet, jetting will help :thumbsup: That and a yz or aftermarket exhaust system and you'll be ripping :thumbsup:

• RSAthump

Posted July 28, 2008 - 08:43 AM

HI, well well, Did a drag race this weekend over 2 kilometers with the following four bikes:
1.02 yz426f
2.08 YZ250
3.07 Kx250
4.07 Beta 450
5.06 CRF450x
Guess what? My WR and the CRF450x smoked the others. it was pretty close with the CRF, but she had a little more top end.:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.