Rusty Steering bearings AGAIN!!

14 replies to this topic
  • Justin Pearson

Posted July 22, 2008 - 02:07 AM

I just recently replaced the steering bearings on my '06 YZ450F do to a failed upper seal allowing water in. Now, after replacing the seal and bearings a few months ago it has happened again. The inner lip of the seal keeps getting torn. WTH?? The worst part is the area of the frame under the bearings is a huge open space and I have a puddle of water at the bottom. Is this just poor design or am I the only one?? :thumbsup:

• KJ790

Posted July 22, 2008 - 03:42 AM

Buy a top seal for an 07 or 08. They claim they fixed the problem. The new seal is better, but not perfect. When you wash the bike do not blast at the seals.

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2008 - 06:00 AM

It's not the seal that's different, it's the upper bearing. The new one, 93332-00078-00, has a built-in seal on it as a second line of defense. (the old bearing is 93332-00068-00)

The top seal, 4EW-23416-00-00, is the same as it has been. If you aren't running a steering damper, you can fabricate a simple disc of stainless steel sheet to cover the seal as a water deflector. If not, or even if you do, avoid spraying the area directly when washing, especially with a pressure washer.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 22, 2008 - 07:59 AM

It's not the seal that's different, it's the upper bearing. The new one, 93332-00078-00, has a built-in seal on it as a second line of defense. (the old bearing is 93332-00068-00)

The top seal, 4EW-23416-00-00, is the same as it has been. If you aren't running a steering damper, you can fabricate a simple disc of stainless steel sheet to cover the seal as a water deflector. If not, or even if you do, avoid spraying the area directly when washing, especially with a pressure washer.

yep just ordered me a spare top bearing kit - thanks again GreyRacer. I also am having great success on my 06 top bearing life using Amsoils Synthetic Grease (blue). This stuff holds up fantastic (so much better than Belray Waterproof):thumbsup:

• Justin Pearson

Posted July 22, 2008 - 10:55 AM

I havnt been spraying that area since the first rust incident. Guess ill be buying the new stuff after Pismo this weekend. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted July 23, 2008 - 06:00 AM

I've found that using a bearing packer on the top bearing helps too. I could never pack the top bearing by hand very good.

• Justin Pearson

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, after I pack and install the top bearing I "pack" as much grease in as I can till in ooses out the sides of the seal...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DPW

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:23 AM

this is what I mean by bearing packer...

Posted Image

• Justin Pearson

Posted July 23, 2008 - 10:24 AM

I know what a bearing packer is man... :thumbsup:

• deepseadiver22

Posted July 23, 2008 - 06:12 PM

if the 06 is an alluminum frame the bearings are steel the frame is alluminun you have disimler metals witch will corrode use lead anti seize in the grease theres a reason the goverment can abuse the piss out off it ships bridges etc. simple eletrolisis

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:02 PM

It has nothing to do with electrolysis. If it did, both the upper and lower bearing would suffer the same fate, as would the linkage bearings (including those in bikes going back to the early 90's). They don't. Also, if it were electrolysis, the corrosive activity would take place between the bearing and the frame, with the material in the bearing socket being eaten away, and the bearing loosening in the pocket as a result. However, this is also not the case. The bearing is rusting within itself as a simple result of the failure of the seal to keep the water out, and the inability of the grease to tolerate it.

• rdrata

Posted August 26, 2008 - 05:50 PM

grayracer: What about after market - pivot works for example? Any good? I'm on my second set as well (actually, i could not get the original chase out before, so it's not truly 100% replaced). I'm considering the aftermarket next go around. Thoughts?

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2008 - 06:24 PM

I don't know who makes the bearings for the pivot works kits, for one thing, so I don't know how good they are. I also don't know if the PW unit has the seal built in. I'm not tempted.

• almostinvincible119

Posted August 26, 2008 - 06:59 PM

i use the marine grease. i guess its harder for simple green to break down. works great for me

• shrubitup

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:23 AM

My foo foo KLR250 has a rubber seal at the top of the headset. I'd like to find one large enough to fit the YZs headset. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.