Another 09' Review!

26 replies to this topic
  • yz007f

Posted July 21, 2008 - 04:48 PM

I know some people don't really put much on these reviews but here is one from motocross.com. They also dont have anything bad to say about the bike! I can't wait for mine..

http://www.motocross...00E599861883DE9

• Justin89

Posted July 21, 2008 - 10:05 PM

Heaven...:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 22, 2008 - 07:52 AM

Another positive review. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

The 09 is looking like the most refined YZF yet. And I dare at this point, probably the all around best packaged (Best suspension, Most reliable motor, great tranny, Tunable ergos - triple clamps, Great handling/turning, braking and suffiencient power that is smooth and adequate for 90% of the riders out there)bike for 09.
With EFI coming out for 09 on all the other Jap bikes (still waiting on Honda) I am not sold that EFI is what it is cracked up to be quite yet. I have also heard some concern from some reputable engine builders that also have concern over EFI and what it will do from a tunability standpoint for any power enhancements at this point. I applaud Yami for waiting on EFI until it works flawlessly, does not add so much weight, is 100% tunable, and compliments the rest of the bikes package. :thumbsup:

So another year of jetting ain't so bad in my mind :thumbsup:

Negatives - still probably need to ditch the fancy gold chain - for better quality/longer lasting, Pipe is sweet looking but probably still corks power.
Man....this list is dwindling.....hmm.....nice for a change :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2008 - 08:11 AM

I have also heard some concern from some reputable engine builders that also have concern over EFI and what it will do from a tunability standpoint for any power enhancements at this point.

You don't hear those concerns from sport bike tuners, you notice.

• adamdf

Posted July 22, 2008 - 09:56 AM

I think it was Ron Hamp (RHC) that was saying what ga4260wner was talking about. However, people have reported some very impressive performance gaines on the RMZ450 forum with crower cams. And based on those findings, i would have to think that an 08/09 RMZ450 with a cam and a revalve would be a very impressive motorcycle, too bad i still trust yamis more though reliability wise.
Anyway, it would be interesting to see what RHC has to say about that thread in the RMZ forum i am referring to. Ron, are you out there? Somewhere?

Here is the thread http://www.thumperta...ighlight=crower

Now back to the 09 yamaha, yes i would say it has to be the most refined yami (possibly even motocross bike available) for 2009. I was waiting to change bikes in 2010 since i know yami and KTM would have something big then, and kawi and honda would have refined their EFI bikes even further as well but the 2009 yamaha sure is looking like a good AND safe choice. Anyways, its too early to tell, but speculating about this kind of thing is the closest excitement i get to riding during the week! :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 22, 2008 - 12:30 PM

You don't hear those concerns from sport bike tuners, you notice.

I hear ya Grey.....and I am no expert on EFI Systems....but seems to me so much testing has been going on for so long with EFI in Japan...."Electronic Motherland" on MX bikes that there seems to still be issue as to why every manufacturer has not had it in production for a couple of years. I completely get the benefit regarding no physical jetting changes for altitude/temp/humidity but I would think there is a difference either in the design of the mapping/tuneability of this, or the reliability (constant jarring possibly) of the system compared to a Sport bike. Weight is another issue - but I think this is probably semi resolved. Apparently Yami made a decision not to offer it yet...Honda seems like they are on the fence and KTM.....who only knows
Seems to be alot of griping that the EFI Suzukis are hard to start also....especially after a crash/fall
Kawi is claiming a tuneable system for 09...this will be interesting if it can indeed be remapped for new cams new porting etc...maybe this is what Ron is talking about. I would also like to hear his opinion on EFI. I have heard from a couple of other motor tuners that this will be a issue for anyone that is not under factory rider support
:thumbsup:

I guess we will all see by this time next year....what works and what doesn't.....

• adamdf

Posted July 22, 2008 - 01:53 PM

Kawi is claiming a tuneable system for 09...this will be interesting if it can indeed be remapped for new cams new porting etc...maybe this is what Ron is talking about. I would also like to hear his opinion on EFI. I have heard from a couple of other motor tuners that this will be a issue for anyone that is not under factory rider support
:thumbsup:

I guess we will all see by this time next year....what works and what doesn't.....

You can't remap the ecu on the suzuki? They have it locked on some kind of proprietary crap similar to cars?

• INJURY_69

Posted July 22, 2008 - 02:56 PM

I thought that was a pretty good review. The 09 sure looks like it's going to kick arse, FI or not!

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2008 - 03:39 PM

You can't remap the ecu on the suzuki? They have it locked on some kind of proprietary crap similar to cars?

It depends on whether the Factory ECM is built around a PROM or an EPROM, and if it's an EPROM, it will depend on someone to build an interface and some alternative maps or programming software for it, as in the sportbike world (or cars, for that matter). If it's a non rewritable PROM, someone will create a new box for it if there is enough demand.

It sounds as if the KXF will have something on the order of a Vortex setup, with alternative programs built in.

• yz007f

Posted July 22, 2008 - 05:58 PM

This 09 to me really seems like Yamaha did there homework on. The 08 bike was good but the fine adjustments they have made should really fit this bike well.
Yes everyone would like to see a EFI bike but in some ways I still like the carb to play with. Really who i am kidding by saying I need more power out of a 450 lol. I'm a semi pro rider and I really dont think other than a slip on pipe and fine tunning the carb is all I need. I really can't ride the 450 for everything that it's worth. I think the top AMA pros can but really most of us average guys are dreaming that we need more power. The one big thing that I do like about the carb is I can make it my own by playing with the carb and have it running the way I want it too without spending alot of money. So to me the 09 is worth getting and I wouldn't be dissapointed if they came out with a EFI in 2010.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamdf

Posted July 22, 2008 - 08:01 PM

It depends on whether the Factory ECM is built around a PROM or an EPROM, and if it's an EPROM, it will depend on someone to build an interface and some alternative maps or programming software for it, as in the sportbike world (or cars, for that matter). If it's a non rewritable PROM, someone will create a new box for it if there is enough demand.

It sounds as if the KXF will have something on the order of a Vortex setup, with alternative programs built in.

Well being that the most common mod on a motocross bike seems to be an exhaust, and now with 4 strokes, cams as well. I would hope that after dishing out 800 plus for an FMF or the like, that the exhaust system would likely come with the recommended mapping for you to load on yourself using a simple program and that you wouldnt have to go and invest in a another $800 dollar engine management system to get the most out of your exhaust etc, because well, that would just suck wouldn't it?:thumbsup:

• DaveJ

Posted July 31, 2008 - 06:09 PM

I wonder if Yamaha is trying to get their EFI bikes certified for the CARB green sticker?

Now that would be cool!

Anyone?

• grayracer513

Posted July 31, 2008 - 08:03 PM

The new WR250R and X models are EFI and plateable, but with the cost of certification, I doubt they would bother in the case of a closed course bike, but you never know with these guys, and it would certainly be welcome.

• motoscotty

Posted August 01, 2008 - 12:31 PM

I get to ride an 09 this weekend so I will throw my 2 cents out to everyone..

• DaveJ

Posted August 01, 2008 - 02:43 PM

The new WR250R and X models are EFI and plateable, but with the cost of certification, I doubt they would bother in the case of a closed course bike, but you never know with these guys, and it would certainly be welcome.

Ya know...there are not many people that aware of the fact of the fees that manufactures have to pay to CARB in order to get their bikes, "certified".

There is some irony or conflict of interest here in that you have to pay an organization that is responsible for reducing emissions, in order to provide a technology that would help to solve the problem. If anything, CARB should be providing incentives to the manufactures to develop new lower emission technologies, and charging them for the bikes that don't meet the standards. Nothing worse than people that create laws in order to pay their own salaries.

This is beside the fact that the green/red sticker policy is actually creating more harm than good because it's keeping the older bikes alive.

The only good thing to come out of this, and a major slap in the face to the greenies, is that the red sticker has been a major contributor to the growth and propagation of private (open to the public) tracks.

• grayracer513

Posted August 01, 2008 - 03:17 PM

Nothing worse than people that create laws in order to pay their own salaries.

This is what we have in CA. Unelected bureaucrats, answerable to seemingly no one, with the authority to perpetuate their own existence, handing down one lunatic edict after another for the apparent purpose of eliminating all things technological. ;) :ride:

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 03, 2008 - 03:16 AM

I hear ya Grey.....and I am no expert on EFI Systems....but seems to me so much testing has been going on for so long with EFI in Japan...."Electronic Motherland" on MX bikes that there seems to still be issue as to why every manufacturer has not had it in production for a couple of years. I completely get the benefit regarding no physical jetting changes for altitude/temp/humidity but I would think there is a difference either in the design of the mapping/tuneability of this, or the reliability (constant jarring possibly) of the system compared to a Sport bike. Weight is another issue - but I think this is probably semi resolved. Apparently Yami made a decision not to offer it yet...Honda seems like they are on the fence and KTM.....who only knows
Seems to be alot of griping that the EFI Suzukis are hard to start also....especially after a crash/fall
:ride:

Most all EPA mandated street driven EFI systems are "un-re-mappable" (at least out of the box). However, we are men, and there is and always will be the need to boost EFI output...
This is why these are so neat:

http://www.powercomm...ng_default.aspx

I have a PC on my injected 2006 Fatboy, and these PC's are absolutely the berries for easily altering your fuel map. The PC's are a "piggyback" type controller which simply "fools" the stock ECU into thinking it's recieving different input parameters, and the stock ECU reacts by altering the fuel curve for added output

However, now we are talking "off road competition use only" The EPA now doesn't have such a stranglehold on emmisions, so that being said maybe the forthcoming MX race EFI systems will be able to be remapped with a laptop right out of the box ?

• motoscotty

Posted August 04, 2008 - 08:04 AM

Ok, I got a chance to check it out before buying one.The 09 is really really good.It picks up where the 08 left off I first noticed how much more snap the 09 has over last years bike overall power is up also.The susp. is really nice It handles great from wet loam to the end of the day when things dry out a bit.I was bottoming quit a bit but that is not a bad thing.The forks are very plush and do not seem to transmit as much to the rider as past yams.
Turning ok this is where they got it together a yam that you don't need to fight thru the turns from tight rutted stuff to flat sweeping turns the bike was very predictable and never wanted to leave rider which has been a prob. with the yams.The 08 turned 40% better over the 07 well the 09 is about 40%over the 08 in my opinion.I will be getting mine Tues. I assure you if you have been on the previos yzf's you will be very comfortable on the 09
They have a great bike for 09..

• aggiemoto99

Posted August 04, 2008 - 08:24 AM

I am glad yamaha continues to refine...but I do wish they did a couple things.

Of course, they will probably get second in the shoot out again this year... It will read great bike, doesn't do anything weird, great suspension, but we wish it had more flavor.

I find the humor in their winning bikes are this: While anyone will say that suspension wins races, in 08 they picked the honda as a winner even though many people griped about the suspension...ironic.

Also, I really don't want efi. Unless it weighs less, which it is not even close to doing, and is completely tunable from the factory with no additional purchases necessary...then its not better. RHC is saying it makes less hp on his mod bikes, and a significantly less amount at that.

Just hikes up the cost even more on our already expensive bikes.

I think the yamaha will right up there for the best bike, but I also think that if they really want to boost sales, they need to do something significant, at least offer a bike that looks cool like the kawi or ktm....

FYI I ride yamaha's and love them, just saying they need to do something in the bling department to keep up with the others in marketing, as what looks good is good to many buyers.

• Demo_Slug

Posted August 04, 2008 - 01:29 PM

I am glad yamaha continues to refine...but I do wish they did a couple things.

Of course, they will probably get second in the shoot out again this year... It will read great bike, doesn't do anything weird, great suspension, but we wish it had more flavor.

Maybe Yamaha is too concerned with going fast and wining races. if yamaha wants to win bike Mag shoot outs, They need to concentrate on making something fun.
tractable power = fast.
scary power = fun.

for an MX bike they should do there shoot out bassed on lap times.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.