Cam chain ?

4 replies to this topic
  • tctrailrider

Posted December 15, 2002 - 05:17 AM

Doing my winter tear down, reshimmed the valves ( a little tight). The cams have three punch marks on the gear. Per the manual at TDC the lobes point out and the punch marks are at 9, 12, and 3 o'clock. To be safe I installed a new cam chain, the old one had stretched approx. 1/4 to 1/2 inch. All gears look good. The cam punch marks do not line up exactly parallel at 9&3 o'clock. With WR timing intake is a little clockwise of parallel and exhaust a little counterclockwise. I went to YZ timing so both are now clockwise. So the question, is this OK, have you experienced the same? Are the gears and the cams a single piece or can they be adjusted? Thank you.

• tctrailrider

Posted December 17, 2002 - 05:36 AM

The more I think about this the only possible problem would be if the cam gear on the crankshaft has turned. It looks like the gear is a permanent part of the crank. Can anyone confirm this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • R_Little

Posted December 17, 2002 - 02:38 PM

TC if it helps I noticed the cams were not exactly 9 and 3 o'clock, when I adjusted my valves too. I don't really recall which was clockwise and which counterclockwise but I just put them back the same way, but they were a little off as you mentioned.

Replaced yr cam chain? How many hours you got on that motor?

• tctrailrider

Posted December 17, 2002 - 05:12 PM

RL,
Thanks for the reply. Once the cams are out the chain is approx. a 30 minute project. Pop off the flywheel and stator and it drops right out, with some coaxing. Chain was $32.00 so I decided to be done with it since the top was off. Sure wish spring would show up so I could ride.

• jmiakaike

Posted December 17, 2002 - 10:11 PM

cam chain drive gear is a permanent part of the crank.. have mine apart right now replacing the chain and guides...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.