Baja Designs Kit-All Lights very dim unless at full throttle

9 replies to this topic
  • Mendo

Posted July 20, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hi, Ive got a 1998 WR400 With a Baja Designs street legal kit with headlight, brake light and rear turn signals. The brake light and headlight only work when you are really hard on the gas, once the rpms drop at all they flicker and dim really badly. What should I check first? Sorry for the retarded question. Thanks

• rubberband-man

Posted July 20, 2008 - 09:04 PM

the stator!!

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted July 21, 2008 - 05:14 AM

even with the stator mod, You;ll still get a little dimming when you let off the throttle...mine does anyway.

• ncampion

Posted July 21, 2008 - 07:03 AM

Put a voltmeter on the wire coming off the regulator, see if it's making a full 12 - 13 volts. Sounds like you also have a weak battery pack, may be actually sucking up the juice if any of the batteries are shorted internally.

• roushxteam199

Posted July 21, 2008 - 03:07 PM

stator or bad battery pack

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freeriders98

Posted July 21, 2008 - 08:23 PM

98 WR400 doesn't have a battery. Is a battery pack something else like the stator to run light and what not. I have a 98 also, and wanted a brighter headlight, is there a brighter bulb I can put in it?

• roushxteam199

Posted July 22, 2008 - 04:41 AM

does the stator have dual wound or just 1 single wound. if its dual wound you can make it to a single wound to give you more juice

• rubberband-man

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:54 AM

baja designs sells a stator hop up--it puts out 300 watts?

• rubberband-man

Posted July 23, 2008 - 07:55 AM

Um--actually 110Watt lighting coil

• mooncat

Posted July 23, 2008 - 06:02 PM

:thumbsup: how old is the nicad battery pack? if its old or not charged....like ," duh i left the the switch on* for 30 min" the low output stator will gang up with the puny battery and you'll think your on an old triumph tiger. also if you did not do the install on the kit ,make sure the baja volt regulator was used. if it still has the yamaha unit, the battery may be shot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.