How can I lower my 03 wr450f

7 replies to this topic
  • just an old biker

Posted July 20, 2008 - 05:35 PM

I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs. I wear the thisckes soled shoes I can find, but I haave to stand on my tipply toes to reach the ground. what can I do to lwer the bike so I can stand flat footed. I have a 31 inch inseam?

Help! Please
Thanks

Just an old biker

• William1

Posted July 21, 2008 - 07:12 AM

I hear you. The best, correct way to lower a bike is to have the suspension shortened. I am also 5'7" but only have a 27" inseam. I have the forks shortened 3" and the shock shortened enough (I do not remember the amount) to match to retain stock handling characteristic. You can also use a lowering link on the back and slide the fork tubes up a bit though I do not recommend this method as the links tend to affect linkage ratios.

If you do have the suspension shortened, have it resprung and re-valved to suit you.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 21, 2008 - 08:28 AM

I've been reading in the yamaha dual sport forum about something called Yamalink for the rear...

• William1

Posted July 21, 2008 - 09:10 AM

I've been reading in the yamaha dual sport forum about something called Yamalink for the rear...

That is one of the lowering links I was referring too

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted July 21, 2008 - 04:18 PM

You have several lowering options for your 03 WR450F. Some are connecting rods and some are relay arms aka a rocker. A connecting rod has about a 1 inch maximum lowering for the WR before the shock spring hits the swingarm tunnel. That's why a rocker is used to get upwards of 1.75 inches because there are no clearance issues.

And yes, as William1 noted, non-stocksuspension links do affect linkage ratios....some for the better, some for the worse, depending on whether they have an increased or decreased leverage ratio and where the pivot locations are.

Feel free to post more questions on TT or email me direct for additional info.

I'm 5'7" and 160 lbs. I wear the thisckes soled shoes I can find, but I haave to stand on my tipply toes to reach the ground. what can I do to lwer the bike so I can stand flat footed. I have a 31 inch inseam?

Help! Please
Thanks

Just an old biker

• William1

Posted July 21, 2008 - 05:13 PM

It behoves me to add, if you do not have to lower the bike much, a combination of a thinned seat and a 'minimal' link can work out pretty good.

Often, if you need more than a inch, then shortening the shock is the right thing to do. But if say, you need to lower the seat height 1.5" and can thin the seat .5" and using a 1" link, you will probably be ok and it certainly is a lot less expensive.

• Oldmxer

Posted July 21, 2008 - 06:23 PM

The lowering links do change the rear end ratio. But at 160lb you probably woudl not have to change the spring. Usually the links require going to a stiffer spring to overcome the added leverage the link gives the swingarm.

The forks are easy to add a spacer in. Just get a machinist or a hole saw and cut some delron. for my daughters bike i used a 1 inch thich piece of delron and a hole saw (probably about a 1 inch). I then took the plug that was in the hole saw and drilled out the center to the diameter of the rod plus a few millimeters so it would slide freely. I used 2- one inch spacers in each fork.
I pulled the cartridge damper apart and put the spacers on the rod. That way the rod cannot extend the full length. IE: it is now 2 inches shorter.
Add 3 spacers if you want it more.
BUT dont add more spacers than the rear is lowered. IE: if you buy a 2 inch lowering link, only lower the front 2 inches. You want to maintain the correct angles for the steering geometry.

I did not use a lowering link. I had a race tech suspension guy put a spacer in the shock when he changed the oil. again, you can build a spacer from Delron. But the measurment is a little tricky. You need to meausre the length of the shock when it is fully extended, and then compress the rear by 2" or whatever, and measure the lenght of the shock again. it will probably only be about an 11mm spacer that is needed in the shock to get the 2 inches in the rear. DONT USE the 11mm as the number. measure your own. 11mm was the lenght for my KTM and was just an example.

I also am 5'7" and I only lowered my KTM 1.5 inches to fill comfortable. I cannot flat foot with 2 feet though; only one. 1.5 inches also maintains good clearance for the rocks and roots. and still feels comfortable for Dual Sporting.

• just an old biker

Posted July 22, 2008 - 04:45 AM

Thanks for the information. Would you be able to post some pictures so that I can see what you mean? Is lowering the forks a DYI project?
thanks
Just an old Biker

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.