high altitude jetting

2 replies to this topic
  • KAS

Posted July 20, 2008 - 10:12 AM

I'm currently running 48/165 on my '08. Most of my riding is sea level to around 3000 ft, and it works great.

However in a couple weeks I'll be going on vacation, and spending a week riding anywhere from 6000 to 8000 ft, very low humidity, temps in the 80s.

I'm thinking of going maybe to 45/160 or a 162 main.

Any thoughts? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted July 20, 2008 - 11:36 AM

45/160, may even need to go as low as 38/145. You should also bring a few extra needles in thicker diameters to lean out everything in between idle and WOT.

Take a look at the Merge Racing site. They have a RAD (Relative Air Density) jetting calculator. You enter in current jetting, weather data and the chart then tells you what jetting is needed for other conditions.

http://www.mergeraci...m/tech/pandora/

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2008 - 04:04 PM

Without considering anything but the change in altitude, the formula I have suggests 158/45.

The merge calculator looks good. Quite a few steps to get to it all, but very thorough. I'll have to fiddle with it some.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.