Removal of seized header bolt

11 replies to this topic
  • Actn 17

Posted July 20, 2008 - 06:53 AM

Anyone know of a good way to remove the allen key header bolt? I'm doing some header repair (dents) and moderate force won't budge it. I've lubed it, I've heated the engine first, but it won't move with moderate force. Of course my fear is breaking it off, so excessive force is not a good plan.

Thanks in advance.

• William1

Posted July 20, 2008 - 08:01 AM

PD blaster, let it soak, use and impact gun, less tendency to snap. On reinstall, coat the threads with anti seize.

• creeky

Posted July 20, 2008 - 11:46 AM

As said, liberally soak it with penetrant and use a brass drift and a hammer to rap the end of the bolt sharply, this will help loosen things up. Use a socket type allen wrench on a breaker bar with an extension and rock the bolt back and forth just a little at a time until it breaks loose.

• maxtherat

Posted July 20, 2008 - 12:23 PM

make sure the other nut on the stud is tight before trying to remove that bolt. i had the same problem, retightened the nut and the allen bolt came out with much less effort

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 22, 2008 - 11:43 AM

What about trying some of that freezing stuff you can buy in a pressure pack can?

I haven't seen it myself but a friend told me that Loctite make it and it works brilliantly.

Apparently you spray the head of the bolt and it freezes most of it, reducing it's diameter slightly. It then comes out easily he reckons.

Greg

• William1

Posted July 22, 2008 - 12:12 PM

As said, liberally soak it with penetrant and use a brass drift and a hammer to rap the end of the bolt sharply, this will help loosen things up. Use a socket type allen wrench on a breaker bar with an extension and rock the bolt back and forth just a little at a time until it breaks loose.

A breaker bar or any steady force can often cause a bolt to snap or threads to strip. A air gun torque pulses are gentler on the bolt and alloy threads.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wartsnuff

Posted July 23, 2008 - 08:33 AM

also with inpact tighted first... then loosen

just dont leave the hammmer smacking on it all day long!

• William1

Posted July 23, 2008 - 12:23 PM

also with inpact tighted first... then loosen

just dont leave the hammmer smacking on it all day long!

Yeah, I never let the gun run more than two hours.... :thumbsup:

Tighten then loosen tends to be better than just trying to loosen. Soup for you, wartsnuff!

• dl19

Posted July 23, 2008 - 12:58 PM

PB Blaster!!!!!!!!! is the best stuff around for corroded or stuck parts. I have tried everything ove the years. I use it all the time and here is the best exhample yet. I had some broken leaf springs on a 1964 semi trialer that were held on with original U'Bolts. Trailer probably has a couple million miles on it. Normally they have to be cut off and new bolts used, but this was a special rarely used suspension. So I would have to build the U-bolts if I cut them. I had some time so soaked it three times a day with PB for four days, and then used my 1" 1400lb gun to take them off. Took some pounding but they came off and were fully useable again. Use a hand held impact driver that you hit with a hammer. They work amazingly well, and the comments about impact compared to constant torque is spot on.

• Actn 17

Posted July 23, 2008 - 04:56 PM

Thanks to all!!:thumbsup: All good advice and the good news, it came loose. For me it was the combo of healthy amounts of Fluid Film (Penetrant) and PATIENCE. I would try it one time, no go, spray it, walk away. Did this about 10 times over the past 4 days, and tonight she let go.

Now it's off to the freezer to straighten that pipe.

• creeky

Posted July 23, 2008 - 05:10 PM

Good news :thumbsup:

• jandmsuburban7

Posted July 29, 2008 - 05:09 PM

Good advice from all!! Dont forget to replace bolt considering you weakened it by wrenching on it so much, not to mention that it gets weaker because of the hot cold affect from engine heat and cool downs. Jason

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.