KX 500 rebuild

3 replies to this topic
  • Ttoks

Posted July 20, 2008 - 01:44 AM

well, i've decided my KX 500 needs a freshening up, took the jug off it today and the little end bearing is shot, and the big end on it's way out, since it's never had a full rebuild, i figure i might as well do the main bearings, seals and a top end wihle i'm at it.

so i have ordered,

a top end kit (piston, rings, gouging pin, little end bearing, head and base gasket (although the head and base we got off it are still good).
two main bearings, big end bearing, and seals
water pump seals (for the hell of it
rod kit

what else might i do while i have it apart? i think i'll be needing a new radiator soon since my uncle mashed the right hand one trying to get the pipe off of it, but he'll be paying for that if it comes up

already has a stealthy FWW on her, no ened to add one of them, prehaps go a sparky since it's only used offroad :thumbsup:

• FPMXer

Posted July 20, 2008 - 07:15 AM

When I rebuild a motor I replace all gaskets and seals, main bearings and any other bearings or moving parts that are worn out or shows sign's of damage or broken. If the clutch plates are still meaty I clean them with high grit sandpaper to break the glaze and get the steel plates nice and shiny again.

• Chokey

Posted July 20, 2008 - 10:24 AM

Since it's apart, I would replace the tranny shaft bearings and seals as well, and closely inspect the shift drum and forks, and the engagement dogs. And make sure to carefully examine the countershaft for wear where the seal rides on it. With the longevity of the KX500 engine, if you make sure everything is in like-new condition when you button it up, there's a good chance you'll never have to open the cases again.

• Wandell

Posted July 20, 2008 - 12:38 PM

I agree.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 450 EXC 2006 by FoxRocks

KTM 450 EXC 2006
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wheel differences between the 230L and 230F? by phillidius

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Problem with 14 450s by boegey

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2010 / 11 Big end and leaky fuel injection problem by bikeboy32

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

99 Cr125r not running correctly by josephduckworth

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.