power now plus?

15 replies to this topic
  • sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 06:20 AM

i installed a power now (thats the one that fits on the air box side of the carb) on my 05 WR450 and it worked great. i was wanting to fit the same on my 08 WR450 but its such a pain in the butt getting the air box rubber on the carb,that i 've been thinking of installing the power now plus (which fits on the engine side of the carb) for easyer installation. do you get the same power increase from the plus? they are just shy of $100 so not cheap if it dosn't work. :thumbsup:

• Fullbore4

Posted July 19, 2008 - 06:32 AM

The power now plus did nothing for my 06 WR450. I took it out. The power now does help.

• sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 06:38 AM

The power now plus did nothing for my 06 WR450. I took it out. The power now does help.

thanks fullbore4, this is what i've been told, :thumbsup:

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 06:55 AM

FYI, properly jetted, you do not need a gimmick like a power now. It also reduces your top end.

• sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 07:33 AM

FYI, properly jetted, you do not need a gimmick like a power now. It also reduces your top end.

my bike is properly jetted thanks, i like the kick at the bottom end the power now gives, i'm not riding Baja so i don't need loads of top end power.
the question isn't about what i need, its about if something works. i know the power now works good, its not a gimmick..

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 08:04 AM

A correct leak jet and a O-Ring'd (or stiffer spring) on the AP cam would do the same, for about 10 bucks and be correct. But if you are happy, that is all that matters.

• SmobySport

Posted July 19, 2008 - 08:08 AM

As far as the power now I have it and did not install. I heard it helps bottom end but takes away from top. Which would make sense since it is a restriction.

Here is a quote directly from JD.
"If you decide to use the Power-Now, lower the main jet by 1-2 steps , as the plates in the venturi have an effect similar to running a smaller carburetor. I would not run the Power-Now if riding more wide-open conditions."

• sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 08:51 AM

A correct leak jet and a O-Ring'd (or stiffer spring) on the AP cam would do the same, for about 10 bucks and be correct. But if you are happy, that is all that matters.

i have an ajustable leak jet and the jd jet kit with the o-ring on the AP cam, the jetting is correct and the bike runs great. i ride alot of trials, i have an 06 Beta rev 3, and i like the instant power the trials bike gives you. i ride more technical stuff on my WR so thats why i like the power now, it gives that little bit of extra kick on the bottom. william 1 have you ever put one on your bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 09:36 AM

No, nor would I. My WR has zero bog, instant snap. Only way to get more response would be a lighter flywheel, different cams, which is not what a WR is about. I fully understand the concept of it. It basically keeps air velocity up before and/or after the slide to maximize Bernoulli's principle. However, this is also the reason for the AP circuit, to provide the extra fuel, primarialy at low speeds when the throttle is cracked.

• sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 12:39 PM

No, nor would I. My WR has zero bog, instant snap. Only way to get more response would be a lighter flywheel, different cams, which is not what a WR is about. I fully understand the concept of it. It basically keeps air velocity up before and/or after the slide to maximize Bernoulli's principle. However, this is also the reason for the AP circuit, to provide the extra fuel, primarialy at low speeds when the throttle is cracked.

then why are you comenting on something you have never used? :thumbsup: a lighter flywheel or different cams is a radical way of changing your bike. we are talking about a $99 item that slips behind your carb.
try going back to the top of the page, and reading the question... :thumbsup:

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 01:06 PM

then why are you comenting on something you have never used? :thumbsup: a lighter flywheel or different cams is a radical way of changing your bike. we are talking about a $99 item that slips behind your carb.
try going back to the top of the page, and reading the question... :thumbsup:

Well, because a few jets and a needle for $40 works perfectly, saving me $59. I have never used it because I know better. Not sure why you have 'bees in the bonnet' over this. As I said earlier "But if you are happy, that is all that matters."

Ask Eddie or GrayRacer their opinions.

• sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 02:11 PM

Well, because a few jets and a needle for $40 works perfectly, saving me $59. I have never used it because I know better. Not sure why you have 'bees in the bonnet' over this. As I said earlier "But if you are happy, that is all that matters."

Ask Eddie or GrayRacer their opinions.

how can you possibly know better when you haven't even tried it? the reason i've got a "bees in the bonnet" as you put it is because, i ask a simple question and what do you get? armchair experts, spouting BS about things they have never even tried and know nothing about. do us all a favor, keep your opinions (based on no facts or experience) to yourself eh!!

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 03:17 PM

LOL, I am far from an arm chair expert. Used to be a factory tech for Yamaha, was in the automtive industy with Nissan and Volvo, so I do have a little expertise. My statements are not mere opinions such as yours. Mine are based on many years of professional experience. I have seen devices like them being used to temporarialy 'fix' a problem until the proper solution could be developed. What is your expert experience and knowledge based on?

Tell me this, if the power now stuff is so good, why is it the FCR and no manufacturers incorporate it?

• sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 04:27 PM

LOL, I am far from an arm chair expert. Used to be a factory tech for Yamaha, was in the automtive industy with Nissan and Volvo, so I do have a little expertise. My statements are not mere opinions such as yours. Mine are based on many years of professional experience. I have seen devices like them being used to temporarialy 'fix' a problem until the proper solution could be developed. What is your expert experience and knowledge based on?

Tell me this, if the power now stuff is so good, why is it the FCR and no manufacturers incorporate it?

my experience and knowledge me old china, is, i have a power now and i have rode certain sections with it in my bike and then took it out and rode the same sections again to test its benefits. something you haven't.

unless you have tested the power now on a dyno (or even on your bike) and have some dyno graphs to prove your theorys then your statements are based on mere opinion.
sorry dude, the fact that you worked in the automotive industry dosn't carry any weight with me,
stick to pulging cars into diagnostics eh, :thumbsup:

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 05:13 PM

I had been nice.

I have stated my knowledge and experience. You have not.

I have used devices like the power now to resolve an issue until the correct solution could be found. For a poorly jetted bike, the power now is a band aid that masks the problem. Your perception is that is works better than anything else and that motorcycle(s) are designed poorly.

You have dyno results??? Everyone would love to see them. Would be real curious how you can show on a dyno the improvement a power now provides.

• sausage boy

Posted July 19, 2008 - 08:03 PM

I had been nice.

I have stated my knowledge and experience. You have not.

I have used devices like the power now to resolve an issue until the correct solution could be found. For a poorly jetted bike, the power now is a band aid that masks the problem. Your perception is that is works better than anything else and that motorcycle(s) are designed poorly.

You have dyno results??? Everyone would love to see them. Would be real curious how you can show on a dyno the improvement a power now provides.

william1, did you actually read what i had wrote?
1, i never said i had put my bike on the dyno.
2, i asked you to show dyno results!
3, i never said my bike is poorly jetted.
4, i never said motorcycles are designed poorly.
5, if you can't understand how a dyno can show any slight alteration on the power curve, then your experience is definitely under question.

please don't post back.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.