Just played with the new WR450

13 replies to this topic
  • Mr_Toyz

Posted December 13, 2002 - 09:12 PM

WOW. Sign me up! I'll be a Yamaha Dealer in JUNE! HEHE
Didint get to ride it obviously...but

Very Similar seat to the current YZ seat
Tank is loooong and probably 1 inch wider than the YZ450 (1/2 inch either side)
Nice and light. (will find out the weight tomorrow)
Interesting Ignition on/off button????
VERY easy to get up on the tank/great ergos

Joe

• Chaindrive

Posted December 13, 2002 - 10:13 PM

Did you have any trouble kicking the Button? Handlebar-mounted starters are real tough... :)

• Jim_Patterson

Posted December 14, 2002 - 06:40 AM

I'm a bit confused, but then that's not new. Did you see/touch it at a bike show, dealer, other. And was it in Washington or where? Thanks, I am very interested if they are showing up at dealers finally. Good info in your post. Hope I don't need special training for the starter.

• ddialogue

Posted December 19, 2002 - 04:23 AM

Did it have a completely sealed, stainless exhaust like in this photo?

Yamaha sealed exhaust
(Photo courtesy of SABIN)

• BrandonW

Posted December 19, 2002 - 08:27 AM

I saw the new WR450 this past weekend at the IMS (International Motorcycle Show) that was put on at the Seattle Convention Center.

I sat on it for a bit, pushed the kill switch and kicked it over a couple of times, then I walked away.

I want to continue to be happy with my '98 WR400, and I pushed it just by sitting on that bike.

You 2003 WR soon-to-be owners out there are going to be very happy.

• Stefe9999

Posted December 19, 2002 - 09:20 AM

For those that haven't seen one before, the exhaust shown in the picture is the Euro pipe. It's very quiet. Since I have this pipe and the US pipe, I've done a lot of comparing. It is a little quieter than a US/Vortip.

• SMD

Posted December 19, 2002 - 11:08 AM

ddialogue would you please share some more of your up close fotos from the show? Since we are starved for WR450 info.
Thankyou :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted December 19, 2002 - 11:23 AM

I was actually referring to photos provided courtesy of TT member Sabin. Here's the link to his homepage with all of the photos. Thanks Sabin!

WR450 Intermod 2002 photos

• rpadgett2

Posted December 19, 2002 - 01:32 PM

I got to start one on Yamaha's web site. :)

Pretty easy there.

later

• WR450

Posted December 19, 2002 - 08:30 PM

Yes that pipe in Sabin's photos are the Euro Spec Pipe we in South Africa also get the Euro spec bikes and all the WR's have always come out with that disgusting pipe.
The US spec bikes will probably have the usual type pipe.

That is why I have ordered a new pipe I dont want that disgusting Euro pipe it makes the bike sound like a scooter

• Motorod

Posted December 20, 2002 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the phot link. Is that a oil filler cap on the frame?

• bigdrtrdr

Posted December 21, 2002 - 09:09 AM

Yamahas specs on their websit lists a re-packable aluminum silencer. I hope the 03 WR250 I ordered for my kid doesnt come with the steel can like my 426 had. I am looking constantly for production photos to verify this.
later
Eric

• sabin

Posted December 21, 2002 - 11:52 PM

if you refer to this picture http://www.sained.co...wr/P9180834.JPG
I think it is oil level check gauge

• endurodog

Posted December 22, 2002 - 07:47 AM

Got to sit on a WR450 at the motorcycle show in Denver yesterday. Very nice ergos. It is much thinner than my 2000, seems lots lighter too, I'm sure this is due to it being narrower. Because of its thinner profile it is very easy to move around on and seems you can get further up on the tank. Very nice. Can't wait to read ride reports.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.