Considering '08 YZ450F or yikes, a CRF

27 replies to this topic
  • DMC707

Posted July 26, 2008 - 10:14 PM

The Honda's suspension harshness will cost 5 - 600 bucks to fix, and a new exhaust for the yammy will also cost about the same ---- so its a push in my mind. Depends on your preferences -- i prefer great suspension over the strongest motor , especially beyond the 6th lap on a long track. The YZ does not run any slower than the CR, it just feels slower

I prefer Yamaha's, but i have beaten and been beaten by many people who ride Honda's (and Kawies and Suzies)

• ridleyredraider

Posted November 21, 2008 - 06:52 AM

I have an 08 Crf 450 and love it....except of course, for the forks. Does anyone have the solution thats not 5k in mods? Less oil, subtanks, takin out the midstroke shim or something?

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2008 - 07:59 AM

I have an 08 Crf 450 and love it....except of course, for the forks. Does anyone have the solution thats not 5k in mods? Less oil, subtanks, takin out the midstroke shim or something?

Contact Dave at Smart Performance, and don't ask Honda questions in the YZ forums :thumbsup:

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 21, 2008 - 09:04 AM

Considering you probably won't be pushing either bike to its full potential (no offense) then I would choose the best suspension and the most reliable machine. But that's just me.

Even with the quiet pipe on the Yamaha, I'd bet your lap times won't suffer, plus having a quiet bike is the new black. lol

It seems that if you're talking '09 models, not many people seem too impressed with the CRF, at least the starting and fork issues (again). Look at the glowing reviews of the relatively antiquated YZF. Personally, I would choose the KXF, the KTM, and quite possibly the RMZ over the '09 CRF.

A steering damper you could add easily enough. Hell, you could even add one from a CRF if you're crafty enough.

Edit: I just noticed you're talking about '08 models.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ridleyredraider

Posted November 24, 2008 - 09:26 AM

Well what else are you Yamaha guys gonna talk about if you can't talk about Hondas? lol

• hillclimbguy

Posted November 24, 2008 - 11:30 PM

So i'm coming off of an '05 YZ250F, and I'm going to go with either an '08 yz450f, or possibly a CRF450. I like the Yamahas, this would be my third in a row, and I'm familiar with working on them and the durability is outstanding (except for my fork seals). I know I probably can't go wrong either way, but I'm directing the question to the guys and girls who have ridden both 2008's before i dump some coin.
I like the low sound output of the YZ; the supple suspension is a bonus, and coming off a 250f I think the smoother power of the YZ would be better. But I like the steering damper on the honda, and the ergonomics are so much better on the CRF for me. I'm a bit torn between them. This would be for 80-90% motocross and 10-20% woods riding. Thoughts, opinions?

I'm not going to read all this. But my thoughts, are go with the YZ.

• DPW

Posted November 25, 2008 - 05:11 AM

the stock pipe is fine....I've seen some guys use them in SX. Does it take away power yes, but are you going to miss it??? Probably not once you start checking your lap times...The Yamaha needs nothing fixed for the average rider.

Go to your local track/riding area and find someone with the bikes and ride them. Both bikes have their pluses and negatives and I'm sure either way you'll be happy.

• uprightchicken

Posted November 25, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Get the YZ! I've rode both bikes and will agree that the Honda does handle better but on the other hand the Yamaha goes through the rough stuff like a Cadillac. The downside to the Honda is the frequency you will need to check your valve clearances. The upside to this is its easy with the frame design of the Hondas as well as the Unicam motor. The Yamahas frame design doesn't make me happy when doing valve work and they are dual cams which means a bit more work. Although they will need it less often. I own both and would recommend the Yamaha even in the Honda forum.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.