Loosing coolant.

17 replies to this topic
  • tnt85

Posted July 18, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hi, am new to this forum, find lots of good info here.

I have a problem with my 03 yz450 that I bought used 3 weeks ago.
The last owner just replaced the piston and gaskets just before I bought it.

I have a problem with the bike loosing coolant nearly everytime I ride. It seems to go out the overflow tube from my radiator. I have tried switching rad cap with a friend that have the same cap and nothing changed. The amout of coolant missing seems to be greater every time I use the bike and refill it.

It has 6 hours on it after rebuild and is ridden at dirtroads, and at trails in the forest.

Can this be a leak headgasket?
Any tips about what to look for?

• matt4x4

Posted July 18, 2008 - 11:10 AM

Stop refilling it!
If it's filled cold to the brim, it will overflow once warm because the coolant expands, once it cools your coolant will be lower than the brim because of what was lost, the next time you ride it, it should no longer overflow because it will expand to fill the rad to the top, but not more.

If you're going to be riding woods and trails, I would suggest you invest in an overflow bottle - the TT store sells them for 20.
If your head gasket is leaking it'll show as white smoke out the pipe - but check the torque values on the head if you think it's a problem.

• tnt85

Posted July 18, 2008 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the tip but dont think it over filled, ive lost between 1/4 to 1/2 of the coolant the last times I rode it.
Looked over it today and it start to show more signs of a leak, very hard to start( started on first or second kick a week ago), coolant smell when kicking, small white bubbles in the rad when ideling and opening the throttle a little + alot of white smoke.

The smoke and that it was hard to start started today.

Can it be anything else than the head gasket?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2008 - 12:46 PM

Yes it could, but you should hope it's just the gasket.

The gasket isn't that hard to replace, nor is it expensive. Throw a cam chain in while you have it apart, and check your valve clearance before removing the cams.

• lluks252

Posted July 18, 2008 - 04:58 PM

I've learned from my 2003 YZ450F that you don't want to let is idle for very long as they get hot fast, & will then cause the bike to start leaking coolant

• Ga450owner

Posted July 20, 2008 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the tip but dont think it over filled, ive lost between 1/4 to 1/2 of the coolant the last times I rode it.
Looked over it today and it start to show more signs of a leak, very hard to start( started on first or second kick a week ago), coolant smell when kicking, small white bubbles in the rad when ideling and opening the throttle a little + alot of white smoke.

The smoke and that it was hard to start started today.

Can it be anything else than the head gasket?

1/4 to 1/2 is too much loss for normal operation..

yes it be but this Head Gasket needs to be checked first...smoke is indicating possible head gasket. Lets hope this is the issue.
Is it leaking at all from the waterpump weep hole also at all?

And I agree with greyracer if the timing chain and Camchain tensioner was not changed, this is the ideal time to do both...and they are cheap to replace

• tnt85

Posted July 20, 2008 - 12:51 PM

No leak from the waterpump hole.

Going to order a chain and a tensioner.

• matt4x4

Posted July 21, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Ok, we went from:

It seems to go out the overflow tube from my radiator.

to:

ive lost between 1/4 to 1/2 of the coolant the last times I rode it......coolant smell when kicking, small white bubbles in the rad when ideling and opening the throttle a little + alot of white smoke.

Yes, a little more than just overfull - I'd be checking the head gasket too - could it be the prior owner didn't torque it right - might just be loose.......

• tnt85

Posted July 22, 2008 - 05:38 AM

Hmm. can always try to retorque it while I wait for the gasketkit to arrive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2008 - 06:06 AM

Hmm. can always try to retorque it while I wait for the gasketkit to arrive.

You have to remove the camshafts to access the left side pair of head bolts. Sure you wouldn't rather just wait for the gasket?

• tnt85

Posted July 22, 2008 - 12:50 PM

You have to remove the camshafts to access the left side pair of head bolts. Sure you wouldn't rather just wait for the gasket?

Ok, didnt know that, havent opened it yet. Will wait then ..

• tnt85

Posted July 23, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Warmed up the engine today just to check the oil and it has gotten some coolant in it now.

After replacing the gasket and put the bike together, should I re-torque the head bolts sometime?

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2008 - 11:01 AM

It should not be necessary to retorque the head.

• nathanyzf426

Posted July 23, 2008 - 11:14 PM

i have the same problem not with the smoke or any of that only mine keeps loosing coolant out the overflow also i bought a new cap only he gave me a0.9 i wasnt even thinking so i put my old one bak on as it was fine on my other bike but seems to leak on this its a 2000 yz426 manual says 1.1 cap i have to keep filling it up and stopping to let it cool down to open it up to fil it as nearly always its sitting under or just over the fins i was told could be the impeller if you know other wise please let me know deffinatly dun think its my head gasket i just had the whole engine totally rebuilt only got bout 15-20 hrs on it so far cheers

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2008 - 05:28 AM

Nathan,

At, or just under the yops of the tubes is the normal cold coolant level. When you fill it above that point, and the coolant expands with heat. the excess is forced out because there is no room for it. If you were to ride it again without refilling, then let it cool, you should find it still at the same level.

• tnt85

Posted August 12, 2008 - 03:32 AM

Replaced the gasket and that solved the problem.

One thing I wonder about the brutal torque on the headbolts, wont that destroy the threads in the engine after some years?

• matt4x4

Posted August 12, 2008 - 07:16 AM

What do you mean "brutal"?
They are 32 ft/lbs - that's by no means brutal......necessary for a high compression engine....yes, brutal - no.

• grayracer513

Posted August 12, 2008 - 12:15 PM

You're going with your 400 stuff again. The 450 uses a two step torque process:

> Lube the threads and torque to 22 ft/lb

> Remove the bolts and reapply thread lube, torque to 14 ft/lbs

> Rotate each head bolt 180 degrees farther in 90 degree increments

Still, it's only about the same 30-35 ft/lbs and is hardly "Brutal". The aluminum axle nut on your fork calls for 70 pounds, and the steering crown is 105. 30 ft/lbs isn't really that much taken in scale.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.