chroming spokes

11 replies to this topic
  • geoffro

Posted July 17, 2008 - 10:48 PM

I'm wanting to give my faithfull old('05) 450 a bit of a 'tidy' up.Anyone chromed their spokes? Does it last? I have two friends that have done it.One is pealing off and other seems ok for now.I know they can be polished but discolour fairly quickly.Any personal experiences or info would help.
Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

• William1

Posted July 18, 2008 - 03:01 AM

Chroming dirtbike spokes is not a good idea. The chroming process tends to make the spokes more brittle and they have less give, thereby breaking easier. If you want the spokes to always look the best, replace with stainless steel ones.

• trailhead2004

Posted July 18, 2008 - 08:00 AM

Chroming dirtbike spokes is not a good idea. The chroming process tends to make the spokes more brittle and they have less give, thereby breaking easier. If you want the spokes to always look the best, replace with stainless steel ones.

Yeah, what he said!:thumbsup:

• djrevz

Posted July 18, 2008 - 04:27 PM

i completely agree i do chroming and u cut out over a mm or 2 of crap n as the guy says it will make them very much brittle and unsafe, the pealing is because the shop that done ur friends was eather not a great company or was thinkin just the same thing and didnt want to shave to much off them, but yes it would last if u did for some reason want to try it.:thumbsup:

• justbackitin

Posted July 18, 2008 - 04:29 PM

Powdercoating? :thumbsup:

• djrevz

Posted July 18, 2008 - 04:41 PM

i would of thought it would be not much difference in price fro jus gettin stainlless 1s:goofy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • geoffro

Posted July 19, 2008 - 05:23 AM

Dj,dont want to sound stupid but please explain:"cut out a mm or 2 of crap"
and "shaving off".The pealing chrome on my friends spokes are by the nipples/thread.Would screwing the nipples onto the spokes maybe have caused that?

• William1

Posted July 19, 2008 - 06:58 AM

Peeling chrome has to do with the quality of the plating job. Because of the thickness of a plating, they try not to plate at the threads. So you will often get a 'so-so' quality at that point unless the shop really knows what they are doing.

Posted July 19, 2008 - 10:10 AM

Not to sound dis respectful and I'm all for a good looking bike but function always over form and the thought of chroming spokes brings up images of those chinese knok off bikes :thumbsup: My opinion is that nothing looks tougher than a black wheel laced with some heavy duty stainless spokes :thumbsup:

I would think that routine tightening of the spokes would reak havoc on the plating too, especially in the nipple area :thumbsup:

• geoffro

Posted July 19, 2008 - 11:27 AM

Hope it doesn't make the bike look cheap!Just seen a few "trick" bikes and thought it looks better than brown rusty spokes.Function over looks anyday,agree, but need to fiddle in the garage a bit(keeps me out the pub):thumbsup:

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 19, 2008 - 02:39 PM

A few years back i had a go at nickel plating all the bolts, nuts, spokes etc. on a 1981 RM125X I restored.
I bought a nickel plating kit, researched how to do it, then set up my own little nickel plating plant in my garage.
The results speak for themselves.....

This is the little plant I set up.....
Posted Image

This is a shot of a bunch of spokes being clened in the acid solution.
When plating them they go in another tub with the negative terminal connected to the job and the positive to the nickel bar. The electric current makes the nickel come away from the bar and travel through the acid solution, sticking to the job.
Posted Image

The plating tub is in the tub of hot water to ensure an even distribution of heat.
Posted Image

Before and after shot. These were the first spokes I tried, it worked right from the word go!
Posted Image

It's fairly involved, but dead easy really.
It's all in the preparation. Those components need to be perfectly clean before you try to plate them!

I think the whole setup cost me $220 including the laboratory power supply. A lot of guys use much cheaper power sources like power supplies for electrical gear like mobile (cell) phone chargers and the like. They don't have any adjustability though. I do.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 19, 2008 - 03:04 PM

Once you've plated your spokes you'll need to re-assemble the wheels and true them properly.

Something like this makes the job a lot easier....

Please note!!!! ..... this is NOT an advertisement. These things are NOT for sale, i only ever made one of them. The webpage "ad" was part of a university assignment I had to do in 2006!!!

( mmmmm, should have nickel plated those handles!!! :thumbsup: )

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.