Screws that hold plastics are stuck

5 replies to this topic
  • WIRE-DOC

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:16 PM

My screws that hold my plastics to the back of the stock tank are stuck. How do I get them out? The screw does turm, but it is the brass in the tank turning.:thumbsup:

• KJ790

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:44 PM

This is a common problem among all brands if you do not grease the bolts when the bike is new. Now you will have to take a power drill or air wrench with a socket in it and spin the bolt/insert until the insert comes free from the tank. Then use vice grips on the insert to unscrew it from the bolt. Then use epoxy to put the insert back into it's place in the tank. Make sure you grease the bolts so it won't happen again.

• usmcpaul

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:59 PM

I am pretty sure you are screwed. The insert that is molded into the plastic is spinning, and has been stripped out.

I do not know how to remove it, easily.

I might try to drill a small hole (# 45 or so) at a 45 degree angle, so that you can stick a scribe( or other pointed object) in it. This may hold the base enough so that you can remove the screw. I dunno?

***** Disclaimer, BE CAREFULL to not drill through the tank*******

Another thought is to again, drill at an angle angle, and then inject an epoxy into it, let it harden, and then try to remove the screw.

For those of you that this thread will help, remember to remove the screws, and apply a coat of anti-sieze, before this happens to you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2008 - 08:17 PM

Here's a couple of good threads on this subject:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=498146

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=504349

• WB450

Posted July 18, 2008 - 05:39 PM

I had the same problem, but I was installing a new IMS 3.1. I took a small drill (after center punching) and drilled down through the bolt head, then drilled it with a bigger bit, it just snapped off. The funny thing is that after all of that, the damn bolt came out of the insert by hand and the insert seems to be fine. I have no idea why, but it's no S@#$!

• cowboyona426

Posted July 18, 2008 - 06:52 PM

I had the same problem, but I was installing a new IMS 3.1. I took a small drill (after center punching) and drilled down through the bolt head, then drilled it with a bigger bit, it just snapped off. The funny thing is that after all of that, the damn bolt came out of the insert by hand and the insert seems to be fine. I have no idea why, but it's no S@#$!

Usually what happens is the head freezes to something, or it's putting pressure on something. Once the head of the bolt and the pressure it's under are gone, the remaining threads will come right out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.