What to consider on used WR450F?

8 replies to this topic
  • mikesbaron

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:47 PM

I've just sold my reliable and trusty XR650R.Loved the engine but need something a bit smaller/lighter like the WR450F. What potential problems or issues should I be aware of when searching for a 2003-2005 WR450F?

I loved he rock solid rep of the XR650R. How does the WR450F compare?
What type of valves and adjustments does the WR450F take?
Any cheap tricks to make it more reliable, lighter and more power?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted July 17, 2008 - 03:43 PM

Yamaha is also super reliable

Get the newest one you can get. An 05 is good. I think that the forks changed in 05 and should be just a little better.

Valves rarely need adjusting on the Yamaha.

A little gas and some air in the tires is all it will need.

• Summit

Posted July 17, 2008 - 07:32 PM

I have an 05 and it's been absolutely bullet proof. I ride alone a lot and totally trust this thing. For power of course the free mods are a must then gear down the counter sprocket to a 13 and add the GYT-R muffler and header and jet it correctly and hang on!!

• brad the best

Posted July 18, 2008 - 10:52 PM

03 had starter issues . do a search . or just stay away from 03 , basically it sheared the flywheel key .

i personally own a 03 and never had a problem with it , but it has the proper fix on it and did before i bought it .

newer the better .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mightymart

Posted July 19, 2008 - 06:24 AM

I have always been a Honda man & also had the mighty XR650R but the CRF did not have the reliably I was looking for, but the Yammy wr did. I now have an 07 WR & havent looked back (Only to watch others follow lol) The reason also to move over to Blue that was a mate has a 04 Wr & had it since new , he has had no problems with it what so ever, After riding his bike I then new I had been struggling with an over weight bike.
You wont go far wrong with a WR.

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 19, 2008 - 10:17 AM

I have had 400, 426 and 2 - 450's, the 03' woodruff key is the only issue that I have ever known of. All of my past WR's are still on the trail. I race and ride hard with all of them, frequent oil changes and other routine maintenance is all it takes... Yamaha 4T is the new "XR" in terms of reliability and longevity.

The only other negative I can think of is Yamaha's lack of proper lubrication during assembly, primarily swing arm / linkage bearings and steering head set. If you look at used bikes, just assume the swing arm bearings will need re-packing or replacing unless the seller tells you otherwise :thumbsup:

• ETP

Posted July 19, 2008 - 12:51 PM

03 had starter issues . do a search . or just stay away from 03 , basically it sheared the flywheel key .

i personally own a 03 and never had a problem with it , but it has the proper fix on it and did before i bought it .

newer the better .

I wouldn't be afraid to buy an 03. It was a first year electric start. The flywheel key on a few bikes were shearing because there was no torque limiter in the new starter mechanism. The 04 and beyond has one. If you buy an 03 without the upgrade, it will only cost about $250 for the parts to upgrade. Not much labor involved to install them.
Plenty of info here at TT about the mod.

• just an old biker

Posted July 20, 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hey Brad the Best.
Greetings!!
I have an 03 wr450f. You said you took care of the starter problems before they became a problem.Could you tell me please, What did you do?
Thanks
Just an old biker.

• kjr247

Posted July 21, 2008 - 03:06 PM

Get a better helmet...LOL WR's are solid as a rock. I did the mods, GYTR insert, rad braces, skidplate, hand guards, lubed everything and hit the trails. KJR

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.