Shop towels/rags - What to use and how to clean?

28 replies to this topic
  • Veccster

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:04 AM

I have a big bin full of towels and rags that I use for wiping up messes (oils, mud, grease, etc). I pile all used rags into a separate bin and wash in the machine when full. It usually takes 2 cycles through the machine and they are still dirty. It also leaves behind a nice layer of grease that I have to clean when done. I use laundry detergent and bleach.

Recently, I washed a load of towels covered in Bel-Ray fork fluid. That stuff STINKS! When done, I wiped it out and the wife did her usual loads of laundry. Now, everything we own smells like Bel-Ray fork fluid. Nothing better than the smell of fork fluid on your towel when you get out of the shower in the morning.

What do you use to clean the towels and how do you wash them?

• klxd

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:19 AM

If I did that the problem would be solved. The wife gets a new washer and I get the Bel-Ray contaminated one. And a lot of grief.

I don't recycle oily rags. I use cut up t-shirts and towels and cut upen socks. Cut up because you get a lot of smaller ones so you can grab a clean one rather than a whole shirt getting dirtier and dirtier.

• yz450509

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:41 AM

I use the heavy duty blue paper towels from home depot.

• F3RR3T

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:45 AM

use honda t-shirts

• matt4x4

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:48 AM

Ditto^^^^!!!
I use old tshirts, towels - whatever works - it'll hand wash the ones that aren't totally filthy, the totally filthy ones go in the bonfire with some gas as starters.

• naturaledge

Posted July 17, 2008 - 12:57 PM

Shop towels from Home Depot and rags. They get tossed after use. Props to you though for admitting that you ran that crap through the laundry. :thumbsup: I would be permantly moving into the garage if I tried that (come to think of it, not a bad idea) You can buy bags of rags at an auto store near you for dirt cheap.

• MXBoy11

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:00 PM

I use SHAM WOW, you'll be saying wow everytime.
:thumbsup:

On Topic:
I dont wash my towels :thumbsup:

• LeadDoggy

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:00 PM

regular detergent and take them to the laundromat

• L-vie

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:10 PM

+1

:thumbsup:

• Shake

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:34 PM

So everyone elses clothes smell like Bel-Ray?

On topic, I use Kleenex brand Viva paper towels. They are cheap at Wal-Mart, almost as tough as the blue shop towels, and I can use them in the kitchen too. Started using those when I worked at an oil analysis lab, thats what they used there.

• r1rider871

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:35 PM

use honda t-shirts

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• shonc182

Posted July 17, 2008 - 01:57 PM

Home Depot box of cut up t-shirts (painters rags) less than $10 for 5lbs. Toss or burn when your done w/ them

• TheBobMan46

Posted July 17, 2008 - 02:11 PM

You could go to a fleemarket and get shirts for like a quarter. I use my friends shop rags, he has thousands, so its no big deal.

• KAS

Posted July 17, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Laundromat. Then its their problem.

• sonobob

Posted July 17, 2008 - 02:57 PM

I buy the bags of 36 terry cloth hand/shop towels at Sam's Club. Those that get nasty with oil, etc. get sprayed down with Castrol Super Clean and after soaking for 5-10 minutes, I hit them with the garden hose. Then they go into the washer without creating issues for the wife's treasured front-loader.

For the most part and most tasks, I use these:
Posted Image

http://sycamorewipes.com/index.html

They're great on a lot of different applications.

• Valerie Wilson

Posted July 17, 2008 - 02:59 PM

If he gets oils or heavy grease on the rags they just get tossed. Just dirt and light crap, then they wil get their own load in the washer when there are enough.

• Braedon12

Posted July 17, 2008 - 03:32 PM

i use old shirts but i also like to put kitty litter on the really big oil spills.

• Supafreak_711

Posted July 17, 2008 - 03:39 PM

I toss them into a bucket and pour soap/simple green or something in there and let them soak for a good bit. After awhile I toss them on the driveway and hit them with a hose to clean them up a bit. They are never perfectly clean, but who cares :thumbsup:

• Deathwysh

Posted July 17, 2008 - 04:55 PM

They're rags. I throw them away when I can no longer make use of them without washing.

• Chickenhauler

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:09 PM

I have a big bin full of towels and rags that I use for wiping up messes (oils, mud, grease, etc). I pile all used rags into a separate bin and wash in the machine when full. It usually takes 2 cycles through the machine and they are still dirty. It also leaves behind a nice layer of grease that I have to clean when done. I use laundry detergent and bleach.

Recently, I washed a load of towels covered in Bel-Ray fork fluid. That stuff STINKS! When done, I wiped it out and the wife did her usual loads of laundry. Now, everything we own smells like Bel-Ray fork fluid. Nothing better than the smell of fork fluid on your towel when you get out of the shower in the morning.

What do you use to clean the towels and how do you wash them?

So how much longer do you have to sleep on the couch?

Myself, I head down to the nearest Goodwill and buy garbage bags of old clothing that has a tear, stain, etc that makes it unsaleable for clothing use.

Last time I did this, I paid $5 for a Hefty Cinch-Sack of clothing, sat out in the garage with a cold beer (or 6) and a sharp scissors and cut them up into 12"-18" squares....still ain't halfway through that pile.

I don't bother washing them, I just toss them in the fire pit.

I do have a friend that has a washer specifically for his shop towels (out in the shop). If you ask me, it ain't worth it compared to the price of a bag of clothes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

03 RM 125 starts, but won't restart. by Kubalek

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   Suzuki 2-Stroke
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2013 RMZ450 Burning Engine Oil by Connor Corrigan

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   RM-Z 450
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

What is the loudest aftermarket exhaust/muffler for a 09 crf230f by 230REVHEAD

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  37 replies
Forums
Photo

Considering a 690 Enduro R by qbizzy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   LC4 400/610/640/690/950/990
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.