450 Digs holes

11 replies to this topic
  • rfelker

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:49 AM

Bought a 03 yz450f 5 months ago. After years on a 125, 250. Have a arenacross/supercross style track. Running a 14/51 gear ratio. Walked the track yesterday and noticed that on all corners there is large ruts. So large that Ive been wheeling over them exiting a corner. Also noticed alot of braking bumps coming into the corners. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. I don't remember this happening with the 125, 250. Also in a arenacross/Supercross style track are you guys using a larger front rotor. Because in the last few weeks Ive been running off the track in the long straights. Seems like the bike can't stop. Thanks

• Colonel_Hapa_Blap

Posted July 17, 2008 - 07:09 AM

for the most part, yes. Tracks develop bumps out of corners where riders get on the gas, or on straights where upshiffting is happening, some bumps devlelop coming into corners from down shifting and getting back on the gas. The thumpers have a lot of tourque and tear stuff up

• rfelker

Posted July 17, 2008 - 07:46 AM

Ive always had braking bumps and small bumps coming out of corners. But these things are deep. and its not a long rut its a small chop. Which I understand this is from getting on the gas. Maybe Im not as fluid with the 4 as the 2. Guess Ill have to practice more. When you come into a corner how hard are you on the brakes. With the 450 I have to pull hard on the front and push hard on the rear brake to get it to slow down. and sometimes Im still hitting the corner with alot of speed. To much in fact that it scares the crap out of me. Which isn't a bad thing. Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same. Thanks

• Colonel_Hapa_Blap

Posted July 17, 2008 - 10:05 AM

Ive always had braking bumps and small bumps coming out of corners. But these things are deep. and its not a long rut its a small chop. Which I understand this is from getting on the gas. Maybe Im not as fluid with the 4 as the 2. Guess Ill have to practice more. When you come into a corner how hard are you on the brakes. With the 450 I have to pull hard on the front and push hard on the rear brake to get it to slow down. and sometimes Im still hitting the corner with alot of speed. To much in fact that it scares the crap out of me. Which isn't a bad thing. Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same. Thanks

You're talking to the wrong guy about cornering well......I am still confused on how to do it in one fluid motion.

• Ga450owner

Posted July 17, 2008 - 03:20 PM

Bought a 03 yz450f 5 months ago. After years on a 125, 250. Have a arenacross/supercross style track. Running a 14/51 gear ratio. Walked the track yesterday and noticed that on all corners there is large ruts. So large that Ive been wheeling over them exiting a corner. Also noticed alot of braking bumps coming into the corners. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. I don't remember this happening with the 125, 250. Also in a arenacross/Supercross style track are you guys using a larger front rotor. Because in the last few weeks Ive been running off the track in the long straights. Seems like the bike can't stop. Thanks

Here is my advice from my experience on my 03 which I have owned a long time now since it came out. I ride mainly larger longer style tracks. Gear ratios or sprocket selection is key for this 4speed beast. 14/51 is one heck of a gear ratio for a 4speed....I bet you are having to shift a ton and the bike wheelies everywhere. You may want to try a smaller rear sprocket to start 48/49 or 50 for arenacross style tracks. This will allow you to get more use out of each gear...which on a 03 is usually 2. either 2 & 3 or 3 & 4....1st is about worthless for anything but pitting and pulling up to start line. 2nd is the gear to start on a starting line. I use a 47tooth on my bike as I like using 1 gear as much as I can.....this bike will wear you out quick. I like mine to be as easy to ride as possible. The easy it is to go fast on it....the less it will wear you out! And a 03 will wear anyone out quick. A smaller rear will help you get used to this bike quicker. IMHO
Also sounds like you are riding and cornering your 450 like you did with a 2smoke. These are different beast all together...I would come into the corner up one gear higher approaching the turn, brake earlier, aim for the apex of the corner allowing you to come in faster, then roll on the throttle through the entire corner(not chopping the throttle like a 125/250) exiting with more speed and a gear higher. You do not square off or fan the clutch as you would with the 125/250. You will find the ruts are easier to be maneuvered over or through this way. But it will take practice. You have 2stroke habits that need to be broken....You may want to do a search on Gary Semics - TT side for more technical info on cornering a 4stroke.
Yea a larger front rotor will help slow it down faster...and the 03 is not really known for its cornering strength but it can be made to corner. You must get the technique down first. Hope this helps:thumbsup:

• rfelker

Posted July 18, 2008 - 04:37 AM

thanks for the info. Your right I am fanning the clutch. Went out yesterday and rode and watched what I was doing. I was coming in hard squaring off then fanning the clutch out of the corners. So to try to fix it I dropped from
3rd to 2nd. Rolled into the corner exited and shifted to 3rd in the process. It did seem better. But it felt slower. I caught myself a few times reaching for the clutch. There is one section of the track I can't figure out. I have a long whoop section right up to a right hand turn. Im coming in way to hot and over riding the berm. Should I try to wheelie the last three or brake the last 2 any thoughts? Also did you drop your forks to make up for the bad cornering. The bike came with rg3 clamps. And I would guess rg3s are a different offset then stock. I have alot of work ahead of me with this bike. Im still in the process of finding the correct settings for the forks and shock. Also the 14/51 gearing came with the bike. I will probably go with a 49 in the back in a couple weeks. thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AnotherRedHead

Posted July 18, 2008 - 05:52 AM

keep the bike in 3rd and maintain your corner speed. Concentrate on the basics like weighting the outside peg, elbows up, and keep it in 3rd while maintaining speed, this will not only make you faster in the corner, but lug the bike a little allowing it to get ample traction. I see to many ppl riding their 450 in 2nd and blowing out berms and wasting tires, as Im passing them on the outside with little roost :thumbsup:

• Ga450owner

Posted July 18, 2008 - 10:01 AM

thanks for the info. Your right I am fanning the clutch. Went out yesterday and rode and watched what I was doing. I was coming in hard squaring off then fanning the clutch out of the corners. So to try to fix it I dropped from
3rd to 2nd. Rolled into the corner exited and shifted to 3rd in the process. It did seem better. But it felt slower. I caught myself a few times reaching for the clutch. There is one section of the track I can't figure out. I have a long whoop section right up to a right hand turn. Im coming in way to hot and over riding the berm. Should I try to wheelie the last three or brake the last 2 any thoughts? Also did you drop your forks to make up for the bad cornering. The bike came with rg3 clamps. And I would guess rg3s are a different offset then stock. I have alot of work ahead of me with this bike. Im still in the process of finding the correct settings for the forks and shock. Also the 14/51 gearing came with the bike. I will probably go with a 49 in the back in a couple weeks. thanks

good start. Try to come in 3rd gear keeping the revs up. I prefer to jumps through whoops if possible. Try to double into the corner in 3rd and rail the corner by rolling the throttle...then shift up to 4th exiting the corner....it will take practice to get the right momentum and no too much speed to over blow the berm. Yes you can frop the forks 5-10mm to help corner easier. I have RG3s on my 03 but they are stock offset - yours may be different. Experiment the fork Comp 1-3/rebound 1-2 from stock settings in and out and leave the shock stock settings to test unless it just bottoms out then up the comp dampning in 1-2 turns
What tires are you using?

• Ga450owner

Posted July 18, 2008 - 10:03 AM

keep the bike in 3rd and maintain your corner speed. Concentrate on the basics like weighting the outside peg, elbows up, and keep it in 3rd while maintaining speed, this will not only make you faster in the corner, but lug the bike a little allowing it to get ample traction. I see to many ppl riding their 450 in 2nd and blowing out berms and wasting tires, as Im passing them on the outside with little roost :thumbsup:

great points - weight the outside peg. Also use the engine braking to slow down...this works similar to slight braking
Too many people blow out berms because it is easier than correct riding....it will waste a clutch also

• rfelker

Posted July 19, 2008 - 07:12 AM

Went out again last night (it was hot 95+ upstate ny)getting better but tonight Ill run the track in 3rd in all the corners and see if I can keep speed. Im thinking Ill have to drop to 2nd in some corners. Already stalled it 2 times. And almost went over the bars. I think Im going to drop the forks to 2nd line and try that. I remember the old days(4 years ago) I used to lay the bike down in the corners with the rm. Big difference with the 4. Also can't do as many laps. Which kind of sucks, because I planned on racing again last 4 races of the season in upstate ny district 4. Anyway Ill let you guys know how it turns out. Im going out now to tear bike down and change a couple of settings and drop the forks. later thanks

• Ga450owner

Posted July 19, 2008 - 05:59 PM

get that smaller rear sprocket - it will help you very very much

• Justin89

Posted July 19, 2008 - 08:18 PM

Yep smaller rear sprocket will prolly make a difference...plus you got a beastly 450...03's are known for great power so I would expect you to start digging some trenches with that thing:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.