Endorsement for the Yamalink

7 replies to this topic
  • Humunn

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:15 AM

Hey guys,

I'm 5-9 (well, almost) and ride an 07 450. The bike is great for me EXCEPT when it's tip over time in the tight technical stuff, or even just trying to make a low speed crawling turn. 99% of my get offs are in first gear turning around on a narrow trail.

A more inseam challenged friend of mine recently turned his KTM 450 into a low rider by having the suspension internals modified to accomodate not only his stature (5-6) but his weight (135 soaking wet). I sat on his bike, planted both feet on the ground, and new I finally had to do something about the seat height on my bike.

I had 3 options: cut the seat, have the suspension professionally lowered, or install a lowering link. A couple guys on the forum steered me away from lowering the seat. I've done this for my son's bike and have seen others do it to their 450 and I just felt it would cramp me up in the cockpit and wouldn't achieve the results I was looking for. Didn't want to spend 600 plus to have my entire suspension redone - the suspension capability on the 450 is within my weight range, it was just the height of the bike.

Dan sent me the Yamalink and it was a snap to install. Ten minutes for someone who knows what they are doing, 20 minutes for me. His instructions were very thorough. I reset the sag, adjusted the rear compression and rebound, and raised the front forks a bit also. Took the bike on a two day ride last weekend and would say it is about 80% there. I need to tweak the suspension a bit more to completely dial it in.

Two comments:

1. I LOVE getting my feet on the ground!

2. The customer service from Dan is top notch. He's sent me emails explaining exactly how all this works and because I don't understand the engineering mumbo jumbo (hey, I'm an accountant) he dumbs it down for me. He's also spent a lot of time on the phone as well. AND he always seems available. Wow!

Okay, #3. Before talking to Dan I didn't have a real sound understanding of the dynamics of the suspension and how it all works together, but he's walked me through it so many times now that I think I finally got it...but if not I'm sure he'll explain it again.

Nice job, Dan! Great product and even better customer service!

Greg

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted July 17, 2008 - 05:55 AM

I have the lowering link from Mountain Motorsports.biz. What are the diferences between the two?:thumbsup: Mine also got both feet on the ground and it gives me a more secure feeling should I need to "dab".
Jim

• wartsnuff

Posted July 17, 2008 - 06:10 AM

i would only lower the bike, if you had to for legal purpose's

i am only 5'6" tall and i would not consider lowering my 08 wr450....

good luck

cheers
Warts

• drtbk4ever

Posted July 17, 2008 - 08:25 AM

i would only lower the bike, if you had to for legal purpose's

i am only 5'6" tall and i would not consider lowering my 08 wr450....

good luck

cheers
Warts

Hey Warts,

With some of the riding I do it is much more important to be able to get your feet on the ground rather than ground clearance. I can take you places where you wish you could touch the ground. As I am sure we can find places where ground clearance matters.

It all depends on the riding you do.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted July 17, 2008 - 04:42 PM

Thanks, Greg. I think we put the online video installation up after your order.

A TT member owns Monkey Flip Productions, and they produced our WR-F and WR-X/R install videos. The WRF is pretty straightforward but we wanted continuity in our written and video installs...and since Steve is a TT member we felt good giving him our business. I highly recommend Monkey Flip Productions if anyone has the need for a professional video.

I know your riding time is limited, but feel free to call us at work or email us at anytime to get it spot-on! Heck, I'll give you my cell phone should you find yourself in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday and need input! :thumbsup:

Dan

• Humunn

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:15 AM

I have the lowering link from Mountain Motorsports.biz. What are the diferences between the two?:ride: Mine also got both feet on the ground and it gives me a more secure feeling should I need to "dab".
Jim

Not sure Jim. You might ask Dan at Yamalink. But you are right, the added security of being able to stick a foot down is great. About 95% of my get offs are at stops or very slow turns in the sand where I get high sided. I noticed I lose a tad of suspension (well, not really suspension but rather distance between the rear tire and fender) but a minor trade off for sure.

Greg

• Zadok

Posted July 27, 2008 - 06:22 AM

Im considering the Yamalink for reasons other than lowering. More
because of better handling and reaction from the rear end.
If I decide to go with the set up, I will actually raise the
stock adjustment, and after install of the Yamalink there should
be very little height difference from stock......or at least thats
what I have been told, and am expecting.

I just need to make a final decision on how important this upgrade
is for my riding style and ability.

• warden415

Posted November 30, 2008 - 01:52 PM

I just bought the yamalink for a 2003 wr450. Arrived very quickly and looks like it is very well made. It bolted right up and only took about 15 minutes. Made a few shock adjustments and raised the forks. Just went for a short ride around the yard so I haven't had a chance to see how it affects handling but so far I like what I have seen, Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.